Why does create new board always default to a specific team?

Matt Sollars May 17, 2020

Whenever I create a new Board (via the plus button or even when clicking "Create new board" under my Personal Boards), Trello defaults to a specific Team every single time. Nothing I do changes this. If I click "Create new board" under another Team, it does default to that team. However, if I just click the plus button or try to create a new board under my Personal ones, it defaults to this other Team. It happens to be the first Team I ever created, so I figured there was a setting for a default Team out there somewhere. I cannot find such a thing. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Shouldn't the default Team be None, so it's a Personal Board if I don't change it?

It's mainly annoying because that Team is at max capacity for Boards on my free account and I have to see the message that it's full every time if I forget to switch the Team.

Thanks!

5 answers

9 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2020

Hi @Matt Sollars ,

Welcome to the community!

While creating a new board you get few options

1. Name of the board: Whatever you want

2 Which team: No Team

3. Visibility: Private

and you are done!!

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Matt S. May 18, 2020

Yes. However, Team always defaults to one that is full (the first one I created years ago). It makes much more sense to me if it defaulted to No Team.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2020

Hi @Matt S. ,

No Team was not by default. You have to choose from the dropdown!

The default will be one of the teams that you are a part of!

Like # people like this
Matt Sollars June 1, 2020

I unaccepted this answer because it does not address my concern/question. I'm not asking how to change the project when creating a new card. I'm asking why it doesn't default to "No team". Right now, it constantly defaults to a very old project that is full. That makes no sense at all.

Like # people like this
6 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2020

Hi @Matt Sollars @George Dorgan @David Lewkowicz @Matt S.,

Teams are now the default where a new board has to be created.

1 team can have a maximum of 10 boards.

The first team you have joined will be the default team you can change the team from the drop-down when creating aboard.

You can create your private team where you are the only member so that you can create a board something like a personal board.

You can also create a private board from the dropdown while creating aboard.

Soon Teams will be renamed WorkSpace

Old Trello users will get these new default Teams features soon and new users will automatically join with this new feature.

I hope this will solve all of your queries and if still, you haven't understood anything comment below. 

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2020

@David Lewkowicz 

sorry! my mistake!

I recently tested and found that the last team you have joined will the automatically selected when you create a new board! You can simply change it from the drop-down!

George Dorgan November 11, 2020

The ask to Trello is to provide a possibility to set the default team, for example in the team GUI
https://trello.com/en/guide/create-a-team

We all know we can set the board's team during the board setup (or change it later).

Like # people like this
0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2020

Hi @David Lewkowicz @George Dorgan ,

The default team will be the first team you have joined.

While creating the board change the board's team from the drop-down.

You can also move a board from one team to another.

1 team can have a maximum of 10 boards.

You can create your private team where you are the only member so that you can create a board something like a personal board.

You can also create a private board from the dropdown while creating aboard.

David Lewkowicz November 10, 2020

Hi @Soumyadeep Mandal ,

>The default team will be the first team you have joined.

Nope that's not the case for me.

It may be the first team I've created but certainly not the first I joined.

Anyway It is not very user friendly as no-one could really explain this sorting rule and it make no sense for a fe user on this thread :)  

Like # people like this
0 votes
David Lewkowicz October 19, 2020

Same problem here, really annoying each time I create a new board, I'd love to choose which is my default team... 

George Dorgan November 7, 2020

same here.
There is no way to set the default team.
With me all new boards end up in the wrong team, when I do not pay attention during the board creation.

I tried a work-around.

Rename the current default team, so that it appears later in the team list, does not help.

when creating a new board, the default was still this wrong team.

hence Trello seems to choose the team with the oldest creation date as default team.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events