Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When adding a label, presssing enter doesn't select the first label (it used to work like this)

carlosdubus
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 14, 2022

Hover a card, press L, type a label name and press enter.

This used to select the first label. Now it does nothing. Not sure why we are changing working features.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2022

Hey @carlosdubus, thanks for writing in. This behavior did indeed change slightly — to move from the search input in the labels screen to a label, you'll have to press the Tab key first, after which you can navigate the labels list with arrow keys, and select a label with the Enter key.

Why did this change?

We decided to make this change after consulting accessibility experts for the best way to ensure that all Trello users could interact with this feature. While navigating Trello with different devices, not every device could view the "selected" label correctly, and it made for confusing user experiences for some of our users. In order to make this feature usable for all, we decided to tap into the default browser "focus" functionality, which requires you to Tab "out of" a text input field.

I understand that changes in workflow can be extremely frustrating, and I'm sorry to have to bear the bad news. Please give the new flow a try!

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Helpful answer - thanks @Raymond Wang ! I'll help spread the word too!

Like Raymond Wang likes this
carlosdubus
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 15, 2022

Thanks for your answer!

Joe Six Taverner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 21, 2022

Thanks for the answer!

Any chance you could put it back the way it was? My heart goes out to whatever accessibility expert is power-using Trello while on the toilet with his smartphone, but most of us are using PC, and this change sucks.

For adding multiple tags it used to be L, hit a couple keys, ENTER, couple more keys, ENTER, etc. to rapidly add tags. Now its L, type keyword, TAB, ENTER, ESC, then repeat to add more tags. You can't get back up to the search field with TAB.

We use Trello to manage an IT help desk, so each card is automated and managed with tags, so we have at least three per card. It's annihilated our workflow. It was beautiful before, we loved it.

Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2022

Thanks for the feedback, @Joe Six Taverner. I'm sorry that this has affected your workflow so negatively, and we will take your feedback in mind.

In the meantime, I wanted to let you know that you can navigate back to the input field using keyboard commands alone, using Shift + Tab to navigate back up from the first label. I know this introduces more keystrokes, but it's still possible to use labels using only your keyboard — this is how I use Trello!

Joe Six Taverner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 21, 2022

Ah, I learn something new every day. Shift + Tab helps a ton, thank you!

0 votes
Samuel Chilcott September 16, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events