Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using costum fields value in mail

Jerry Ramdien November 30, 2021

Hi all,

I want to use the value of costum fields in mails to be send by Butlter based on a trigger (a check in a check list). I have used in the mail text the variable like {{%Field Name}} whereby {{%Field Name}} = the name of the costum field (eg Costum field with name Company name).  Unfortunately I don't see any results. It is possible to use/call the value of a costum field in a mail send by Butler?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Jerry

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

Hey Jerry! You want to be using the {customfieldvalue} variable to get the value of the field in your email. Try {{%Field Name}}{customfieldvalue}.

Jerry Ramdien December 1, 2021

He Hannah! I have tried eg  {{%Closing date}}{customfieldvalue} but unfortunately no results. I don't think is it possible to call / have the value of a costum field in the email :-(

I have search trough all the help files in Trello but I don't see any link to my question.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

Oh :/ it seems to be working for me! This is how I've set mine up. Maybe it's not exactly what you're trying to achieve?

https://www.loom.com/share/355c9a19055143968807cc47d5f3cfb4

Like Jerry Ramdien likes this
Jerry Ramdien December 2, 2021

Thanks Hannah for the Loom video! It now clarifies why I didn't see any results.  In my specific case we use a list with serveral cards in which we all have costum fields to collect data of our new M&A deals. But the checklist with the item that works as trigger to send the mail using the value of costum field is not on the card with the costum field but in a different list and card. On your video I saw that the costum field is on the same card as where the check list item is which function as trigger.  I thought that Butler can call the value of a costum field on a different card (and list) in case the costum field value is used in a e-mail.

But we have done now is that the costum field value on the card in the list in which we collect data is passed trough to the same costum field on the list with the checllist item that is the trigger for the mail. This works!

So it is now clear that indeed you can call the value of a costum field in a E-mail but the costum field should be on the same card on which the trigger is set.  This rule (as more rules) is not explained clearly in the help file of Butler. But thanks god we have you 😊

Greeting from raining Netherlands, Jerry

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

Oh, I see! Well, it might work as well if you incorporate a "lookup" action to your rule so that the action of finding the custom field value is being applied to a different card rather than the trigger card. I guess this would only work if there was some sort of relationship between the trigger card and the lookup card - e.g. they have the same name, they're linked in the attachments, etc.

Jerry Ramdien December 2, 2021

I am using in the action part of butler the look up function but interesting idea to use the look up function also here. I did’t think about is but let me see if I can use it in the action part.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events