Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello: Automatically fill custom fields from data in card body

Charry2014 February 24, 2020

Following advice from another post I am using Zapier to preformat data that arrive as new cards by email. This works great. When the cards are created they have Description with a structured format like this:

FromName:Real Name
FromEmail:Real name real.name@company.com
DateSent:Sun, 23 Feb 2020 21:12:14 +0000
SenderIP:[123.456.789.100]

Request:My request is blah blah, nonsense, rhubarb...

It would be awesome if these values could automagically be transported into custom fields.

There must be a way; can anyone tell me how? It would be five lines of Python, or perhaps some cunning power-up and Butler...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2020

Hi

You can create patterns and fill custom fields with matchted texts. See this :

https://help.trello.com/article/1156-pattern-matching-and-wildcards

Charry2014 February 25, 2020

Thank you - that looks like it might do the trick. I would also point out that Zapier is also capable of doing a lot, I had missed a few things back from when I initially set the board up.

0 votes
Katharine October 20, 2021

Hi Ludo, I've also been trying to automatically populate my custom fields using data in the card body/description, but haven't been successful. I was wondering if you've had any success with pattern matching/wildcards?  

I feel like what I'm trying to achieve should be simple, but it hasn't been working for me. See screenshot attached.

Picture1.png

I was wondering if you could share any progress you've made.

Thanks,

Niall

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events