Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slack integration: how to get the full message into card description?

jwescott September 15, 2021

When I right-click on a message in Slack, and choose "Create card from message", the integration takes me through a wizard to pull the message into Trello, but when I get to the final stage of the wizard, it just:

• truncates the message as the card name
  • leaves the description blank (instead of putting the full message in the description)
  • doesn't add a link back to Slack in the Trello card
  • doesn't include any attachments in the message

Basically, the integration seems ... fairly useless except for the rare case when you have a message w/ fewer characters than fit in the "name" field for a card.

What am I missing?

1 answer

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

@jwescott have you tried using Zapier? you get some more customization with that where you can specify a trigger in Slack (could be like starring a message) and then define what you want to carry over. I believe you can set description there, and you might be able to pull in attachments, but I haven't tried that. Also, Zapier is pretty good about including links in zaps, so if nothing else I think that would include a link to the zap? But maybe not the exact Slack message.

jwescott September 15, 2021

Thanks for the quick repsonse, Brittany.

Zapier is a non-starter for a company like mine. It took 8 months to get approval to use the integration (legal, security, compliance review, etc.).

Am I really the only one that finds the implementation here lacking?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

@jwescott I've never really used that part of the Slack/Trello integration - usually I've just used the power-up to have Trello notifications broadcast messages in slack channels for people who aren't great at checking Trello, so I've never really done much from Slack to Trello. But I am sure others do, just don't have any experience or pain points there myself.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events