Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the due date on several cards in several list based on the due date of on other card

Jerry Ramdien November 18, 2021

Hi all,

I have used Buttler to set the due date of a card based on the date that is entered in a custom field on that card. This date in the custom field is the general due date for several other cards in several other lists. My question is how can the due date on the card set or the date entered in the costum field work as a trigger to set the due date of other cards in other lists with Butler? This means that the due date set on the first card is automatically used to set the due date on the same date on other cards in one action.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Hannah, thank you and this seems very promising but with my set up it doesn't work. I linked just 1 card as test but the due date on the linked card is not set to the date entered in the custom fields on the orginal card. Not clear what I am doing wrong in Butler. See below my buttler statement:

image.png

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

It looks like your rule doesn't match what I had in the video. Here's a snapshot of the two rules:

cascading due date rules.PNG

Yes, I saw your 2 rules but was expecting that my rule should work based on the cascading rule. Let my try to have exact what you have only how do you get the variable field in the first rule? Not very clear in the Trello explanation how to get a variable field in the butler rule(?) Thanks for your support and greetings from the Netherlands :-)

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

I could only find a way to set a variable on the custom date field. 

custom field variable.gif

Variable is {customfieldvalue} and you can see more info on variables here. Hope that helps! Greetings from NZ :)

Jerry Ramdien November 19, 2021

Thank you and a great mystery solved how to get variables in the Buttler lines. I get the result with slightly different steps but it follows your main steps: image.png

Strange enough from a test I did the due dates can be set directly on linked cards with as trigger a due date set on the mother card, but only when the due date is set to Now on the linked cards (the option to set the due date to the date of the costum field doesn't work although it is a option)

image.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2021

Hi Jerry! So do the rules do what you want? I had to set up the rules like I did because I couldn't see a way to set a variable on the native due date field. So I couldn't see a way to say: "when the custom due date is set on a card in list "X", for each card linked in the attachments, set due date to {customfieldvalue}."

The only way I could see around it was to create two rules:
1. Set the custom date field on the linked cards to the same date as the custom field in the trigger card.
2. When a card gets a custom due date populated, update the native due date to the same date within the same card.

Jerry Ramdien November 21, 2021

Hi Hannah,

The rules do what I want, many thanks. I can now set the due date on the linked cards but as you also experienced the trigger has to be set via a costum field. It’s a limitation of Trello that it is not possible to trigger the due date on linked card directly via a costum field in the Master card. I believe Trello could do some refining work in buttler and the available triggers and actions. But for now your set up works super fine and happy to use your advice/set up.

Regards, Jerry

0 votes
Answer accepted
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2021

Hey Jerry! Welcome to the community :) have a look at the below video - it might help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events