Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Cards from different lists

Austin Mcmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 17, 2019

Hi, Just curious if there is any way to merge the content on one card from two separate lists.

Ex. I have one card with multiple attachments and photos that I uploaded and wrote a description for. Another person on my team made a similar card without the attachments, but it has a checklist and different comments.

I want to know if there is a way to merge all of the content from the "Parent" card to a "child" card, I suppose.

Right now the functionality that I can see working is copying a card from one list to another, but this creates a brand new card with all the same comments and description from the "Parent" card. Even if the cards are named the same it still creates a separate one.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2019

Hi Austin,

Unfortunately, no, there isn't any way to directly merge two cards, because Trello can't make the decisions about how to merge each specific data piece, like what to overwrite and what not to. I'll definitely make sure the team knows this is something you'd like to see in the future, but for now, copying each element over will be the best way to go.

Austin Mcmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 21, 2019

Thanks for the response!

Bob Vanasse December 23, 2022

Paying Altassian Trello customers have been asking for the ability to merge cards for quite literally over five years, and the only reply anyone from Alassian ever gives is the insane "I'll definitely make sure the team knows this is something you'd like to see in the future."

Like # people like this
Marcin Mieszczak February 13, 2024

@Mike It is qite simple, just make wizard where user will chose elements (with original timestamp) like comments, checklists etc. to marge.
It can work even laike making newone card and after checking that resoult card is good, then user can on its own delete original cards or leve them.

or add option in every element to copy it to other card (then it schod have two options to save original timestamp or to change it for current time).

lastone idea is to add side by side view where wee can open two cards at once to make comfortable manual copying what we need.

3 votes
George Dorgan December 7, 2019

Not so difficult, Required Functionality for Merge:

Decide which is the resulting/merged card (after merge)

Add the checklists from the second card into the merged card.
Concatenate the description from the second into the merged card.

KOHESION February 18, 2021

@George Dorgan  I agree! can we merge cards yet?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events