Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Linking cards after using checklist create card functionality

I have spent hours trying various solutions to what feels like should be basic Trello functionality. Am I missing something obvious. I am trying to automate the steps below and am not finding the right options in Butler. Maybe there is a completely different way I need to go.

Starting point

1. Create a new card in a "Projects in Progress" list
  2. Add a checklist of tasks required to complete the project described on the new card

Trigger

1. When a checklist item is "Converted to a Card"

Action

1. Create a new child card
  2. Move the child card to the "Next Actions" list on the same board
  3. Change the checklist item in the parent card to a link to the child card
  4. Create a Trello attachment in the child card to link back to the parent card

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Solved this with two automations rather than the Convert to Card functionality

when a card is added to the board by anyone, add an empty checklist named "Next Actions" to the card
when an item is added to checklist "Next Actions" by anyone, convert the item to a linked card at the bottom of list "Backlog Actions" using pattern "[{cardname}]({cardlink})" copying members

This creates a backlog of next actions that can be ignored until it is time to bring a child card forward to work on in the current cycle 

• Click the link to the next action on the parent card - which opens the child card from the backlog next action list
  • Click the "Move" button and select the "Next Actions" list

Did you do this using Butler's command builder? Or did you write it yourself? I can't for my life figure out where I go to write a custom command!

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events