Is there a way or workaround for adding a tooltip to the custom field header?

Mike Hong April 14, 2022

Hello community!

I'd like to add a short description for custom fields to give users a better idea of how to fill out a custom field.  Is there a way to do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2022

@Mike Hong That sounds like a pretty great idea.   If your usecase works with Amazing Fields (https://trello.com/power-ups/60e068efb294647187bbe4f5), I think I could add support for something like that pretty easy.

Note: Amazing Fields lets you build styling, formatting, etc on top of field values and build on custom fields if you need the full power of automations and integrations.

Mike Hong April 18, 2022

@Allen -Amazing PowerUps- this is pretty awesome, I'll test it out!

Mike Hong April 18, 2022

@Allen -Amazing PowerUps- Looks like I need IT to approve it.  Do you think you will add a Tooltip function for custom fields?

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2022

Hi @Mike Hong ! Welcome to the community :) It's not currently possible to add descriptions to custom fields, however, I think this would be a great feature to have. If you want to request this direct with Trello, you can do that here: https://trello.com/contact#/

As a workaround, you could create a dedicated list in your board that acts as a wiki or readme. Within that list, you could have a card that has all the custom field definitions. 

Another option could be to add a prompt to your card descriptions to remind people to fill out the custom fields/explain how to fill them out. This could either be contained in a card template, or auto-added to new cards using butler automation. 

Mike Hong April 18, 2022

I can't seem to request this.  Ever since I posted this I've had this "Connection Issue." 2022-04-18 10_31_06-Contact Support _ Trello.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

@Mike Hong I had a look just now and was able to successfully submit a ticket. Are you still running into the same issue? Does it happen after you try and submit a ticket? 

Mike Hong April 19, 2022

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows it happens as soon as I open the contact link before I enter any information in.  As soon as I click on Using Trello from the dropdown it makes these 2 suggestions.  This is what brought me to post in the community, I thought this was a prerequisite.  2022-04-19 09_43_36-Contact Support _ Trello.png

Mike Hong April 25, 2022

It's working now and I've submitted my feature request.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2022

Great! Thanks for letting me know. Glad that's working now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events