Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want new trello cards to be at top of list by default. I use trello as a to do list.

R Short February 12, 2018
I want new trello cards to be at top of list by default. I use trello as a to do list. I use the app on my phone. I don't want to drag them to the top after I create them. Can you tell me how to do this.

16 answers

2 votes
Mark Steenbarger December 27, 2019

Try typing ^1 at the end of your new title

"my new title ^1"

Mark Steenbarger April 4, 2024

On desktop the --- menu at the top of the list - if you click 'Add Card' will default it to the top - the "+ Add Card" at the bottom will still add to bottom and the ^1 shorthand doesn't seem to work anymore.

1 vote
Benjamin Dale November 2, 2022

I have a simple solution without using 3rd party apps.

On the android app click the three vertical dots in the top right corner of a list. Then click 'Add card'.

The card appears at the top.

Boo yahh!!!!

Timea Foldy November 2, 2022

You and your solutions are awesome. Thanks a million! 🤗

Billy Stidham November 2, 2022

gets added to the bottom in ios

1 vote
Timea Foldy August 19, 2021

Hey!
I would also prefer the feature on itself, it should be basic, really.
Butlerbot does not work for me either...
Can we get an answer on that, why it is not working? Someone posted the issue a month ago...
Thanks.

Mark Steenbarger August 19, 2021

Timea - did you try the ^1 notation? - by typing that first in the title description before tying anything else you, get a flyout menu showing position - click on it and it goes to the top. See screenshot here 

Billy Stidham August 19, 2021

@Mark Steenbarger doesn't work on mobile and only works on desktop while creating new cards not copying cards. 

Mark Steenbarger August 19, 2021

@Billy Stidham Yes - just on new cards on desktop.

1 vote
Hannes Tordengren March 27, 2019

Just an update to the solution expressed above (and some further modifications): 

Butlerbot has been acquired by Trello, and is further integrated than before. Go to the site butlerfortrello, as previously indicated. Then invite the Butlerbot to the Board you want to work with. It then appears up in the right with a little icon that looks like a ring bell. Click "rules", the third option from the left, and then add a rule, in this case: 

Trigger: when a card is added to list "To do" by me

Action: move the card to the top of the list. 

You can also make this apply to all your lists, and not only the "To do"-list, by changing the settings in the rule. 

As far as I've seen, the butler bot doesn't appear as a standalone list for you to issue any commands to, as was referred to in previous posts.

Olivier June 30, 2021

I Get the following error when I add butlerbot to my board

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 9.21.55 AM.png

And when I click on the little ring bell, I get don't get any option called "rules"

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 9.28.12 AM.png

Is there a solution to this?

1 vote
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Hi R.

There's not a way to, by default, have newly created cards appear on the top of a list. However, you can use an automation tool called Butlerbot and command it to always move a newly added card to the top of your list.

To add custom automation using Butlerbot, follow these steps:

1) Add Butlerbot to your board here: https://www.butlerfortrello.com/dashboard.html
-- A new list will be created titled "Butler"
2) Add a new card to the Butler list, using the follow text 

when a card is added, sort list by age

Now,any time you add a card to your list, web or app, Butler will move the card to the top of the list.

R Short August 28, 2018

It worked! It worked! It worked! Solved! Thanks so much. 

I did what you said. My steps were. 

1) Add Butlerbot to your board here: https://www.butlerfortrello.com/dashboard.html

THE BUTLER LIST WILL BE ON THE FAR RIGHT AND HAVE NO CARDS IN IT.

THE CARD IS TO SIT UNDER THE BUTLER LIST. NOT YOUR ALREADY MADE LISTS. 

Copy the data between the quotes below and paste it into a new card in the list titled Butler. 

"when a card is added, sort list by age" 

Last step... ON YOUR ALREADY MADE LISTS TAP On three dots at top right "..." THEN SELECT ON THOSE ALREADY MADE LISTS TO (SORT BY NEWEST! ! ) 

Now,any time you add a card to your list, web or app, Butler will move the card to the top of the list.

CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM TO SOLVE THIS.  Rex in New Zealand. Thanks to those who helped me also. 

0 votes
Kunal Ranjan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 4, 2024

You can create a rule "trigger: whenever you create a card; action: it will be moved to top."  in the rules section 

0 votes
Olivier June 30, 2021

Has anyone found a solution to this? Butler bot isn't working for me!

I get the following error when I add butlerbot to my board

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 9.21.55 AM.png

And when I click on the little ring bell, I get don't get any option called "rules"

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 9.28.12 AM.png

0 votes
Billy Stidham February 3, 2021

I need this feature also. I have several lists where it makes more sense that new items be on the top like a stack than on the bottom like a queue. Butler is not a solution, since butler automation is throttled by the number of actions taken per month, which would limit the number of "fixes" that could happen per month. Trello should just made lists configurable as top-down or bottom-up. This needs to manifest in copy/move card and create from template features too. 

0 votes
Anders Thorbeck February 27, 2019

I would also like for Trello to add a setting that new cards are added to the top as opposed to the bottom, without having to use a third party plugin.

0 votes
R Short August 28, 2018

I need a little more help. The cards are diss ordering them selves. The newest are appearing at the bottom again. I click three dots and sort newest at the top. But not consistant. The any ideas why. 

0 votes
R Short August 28, 2018

It worked! It worked! It worked! Solved! Thanks so much. 

I did what you said. My steps were. 

1) Add Butlerbot to your board here: https://www.butlerfortrello.com/dashboard.html

THE BUTLER LIST WILL BE ON THE FAR RIGHT AND HAVE NO CARDS IN IT.

THE CARD IS TO SIT UNDER THE BUTLER LIST. NOT YOUR ALREADY MADE LISTS. 

Copy the data between the quotes below and paste it into a new card in the list titled Butler. 

"when a card is added, sort list by age" 

Last step... ON YOUR ALREADY MADE LISTS TAP On three dots at top right "..." THEN SELECT ON THOSE ALREADY MADE LISTS TO (SORT BY NEWEST! ! ) 

Now,any time you add a card to your list, web or app, Butler will move the card to the top of the list.. 

CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM TO SOLVE THIS.  Rex in New Zealand. Thanks to those who helped me also. 

0 votes
Dyana Stephens August 28, 2018

I would also like to request this feature.  It seems like Trello could add it is an option in the Settings.  :)

R Short August 28, 2018

When does Butler sort the list? Is it after I add a card or by a time schedule? 

0 votes
Marcus Fütö August 17, 2018

me too!

0 votes
Rebecca Schmidt July 17, 2018

Me too!

0 votes
Joe Ede July 16, 2018

me too

0 votes
James Rowe June 6, 2018
I'd also like that feature, without having to use butlerbot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events