Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Butler to convert all INCOMPLETE checklist item in all checklists into linked cards?

Yen Yi Chew June 27, 2022

I want to create a card button that does similar things to the instructions that is given here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/creating-and-managing-task-dependencies/ 

Essentially, I don't want ALL checklist item to be converted into linked cards. So I have a work around card button to convert INCOMPLETE items into linked cards. I will first list out the tasks in a checklist, then check the items that doesn't need to be a card, click the card button, then uncheck everything. A chunky work around but it does what I want. 

But the work around only seem to work for ONE checklist in a card, since I don't want to specify the checklist name. I just want the button to repeat the same action across all checklists in the card. 

A similar query would be to sort ALL list via due dates. At the moment, I had to name each list in the board in the command, instead of just a simple "sort ALL list by due dates". This is a bit annoying since I will have to edit the command every time I rename one of the list. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2022

@Yen Yi Chew welcome to the community! Just to clarify, your question asks how to only convert the incomplete check-items into linked cards. In your description, you mention the method of checking an item, then selecting the button to convert the incomplete ones, then un-checking them again is a workaround.

What would be the ideal scenario for you? It sounds like you only want to apply the action to certain checklist items. Is there any sort of pattern or trend with the checklist items that should be converted to linked cards? For example, would something like this work?

when an item starting with "Task" is added to a checklist, convert the item to a linked card
Jenny Low June 30, 2022

Thanks. I've never thought of doing that instead. However, I still think that would be a good feature to have somewhere down the road. 

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2022

@Yen Yi Chew 

I had looked at both of these requirements a bit. Trello automation as you have found out does not process one checklist at a time. There is no automation to sort items in a checklist.

In both of the above cases, the way I have found around it is via the http request using an endpoint to handle the specific processing.

Jenny Low June 28, 2022

How do you do that?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2022

@Jenny Low 

It involves some coding using Trello api or an api wrapper (which is what I use). 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events