Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I update a linked checklist item when a checklist card is moved with Butler?

Ziri Rideaux July 25, 2020

Hello. I have set up Butler to create checklist item cards from each checklist item on cards on a certain board.

I set it up so that when I click the checklist item on the card, the corresponding checklist item card is moved to the "Done" column. I have also set it up so that when a checklist item is unchecked, that the corresponding checklist item card is moved back into the "To Do" column.

My question is, how can I update the checklist item simply by moving the checklist item card?

For example, if I move the checklist item card to "Done", how can I trigger the corresponding checklist item to be checked? And vice versa if a card is moved out of the "Done" column to uncheck the checklist item.

A small note: I change the name of the checklist item cards to be {triggercardname} - {cardname} so that it references the parent card and the checklist item. For example, if I have a card called "Case #1" with a checklist from which checklist item cards are made, the checklist item cards are renamed "Case #1 - To do item #1" etc.

I mention this in case any solution requires checking the name of the card. Thanks.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2020

Assuming that the card name is always in a Case #1 - item #1 format, as in it will only ever have the one - in the middle:

When a card with a name starting with "{*} - {*}" is moved in to list "Done", find card named "{wildcard1}", check checklist item "{triggercardlink}"

However, as Butler cannot distinguish between actions made by you and actions made by Butler, this rule and the first rule will recursively trigger each other foreverrr. Which lags out Butler for a bit before it notices. Which means that you'd need to modify all the rules so that, whenever Butler is going to check an item or move a card between these lists, to add and then later remove something like a "Butlering" label. Then make all the triggers only trigger on cards that dont have a Butlering label.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events