• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I update a linked checklist item when a checklist card is moved with Butler? Edited

Hello. I have set up Butler to create checklist item cards from each checklist item on cards on a certain board.

I set it up so that when I click the checklist item on the card, the corresponding checklist item card is moved to the "Done" column. I have also set it up so that when a checklist item is unchecked, that the corresponding checklist item card is moved back into the "To Do" column.

My question is, how can I update the checklist item simply by moving the checklist item card?

For example, if I move the checklist item card to "Done", how can I trigger the corresponding checklist item to be checked? And vice versa if a card is moved out of the "Done" column to uncheck the checklist item.

A small note: I change the name of the checklist item cards to be {triggercardname} - {cardname} so that it references the parent card and the checklist item. For example, if I have a card called "Case #1" with a checklist from which checklist item cards are made, the checklist item cards are renamed "Case #1 - To do item #1" etc.

I mention this in case any solution requires checking the name of the card. Thanks.

Thanks!

1 answer

Assuming that the card name is always in a Case #1 - item #1 format, as in it will only ever have the one - in the middle:

When a card with a name starting with "{*} - {*}" is moved in to list "Done", find card named "{wildcard1}", check checklist item "{triggercardlink}"

However, as Butler cannot distinguish between actions made by you and actions made by Butler, this rule and the first rule will recursively trigger each other foreverrr. Which lags out Butler for a bit before it notices. Which means that you'd need to modify all the rules so that, whenever Butler is going to check an item or move a card between these lists, to add and then later remove something like a "Butlering" label. Then make all the triggers only trigger on cards that dont have a Butlering label.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

780 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you