How can I copy a template with custom fields to other boards?

Vicki Landry August 31, 2021

I have a template card that I need to use across multiple boards but when I copy the template from my home board to another board, the custom fields are messed up. It seems to add additional fields that aren't on the original template. I've tried removing past templates from the board I'm copying too but that didn't work. I also tried copying the template with all of the custom fields completed (a suggestion from a FB gropu) but that didn't work either. What am I missing? Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2021

@Vicki Landry 

To avoid the situation, create a new card and selectively decide on the CF to carry over to the new card. The problem you will face is that {trigger.. prefix will not work for CF but the is a solution for that. 

0 votes
Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2021

Hi @Vicki Landry ,

If you want to manage Fields across boards I would recommend you to take a look on Crmble Power-Up. You can manage which fields you can see in each board and also even choose which lists have Crmble Fields and which ones do not.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Toni

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2021

@Vicki Landry 

With custom fields activated, when a card is added to the board(including copy from template), any CF in the card gets added to the destination board if a CF of the same name and type does not exist. The rest CF definitions on the destination board unchanged. I have not investigate into the case where the name and type are the same but the options are different for the case of a checkbox.

Jeffrey Hubbard September 1, 2021

if the name is the same, but the options are different, it will create 2 filed with the same name but different options.

Like milynnus likes this
0 votes
Jeffrey Hubbard August 31, 2021

Since custom fields became integrated instead of an addon, every card that ever had a custom field on that board from another board will propagate onto the board. I have a board that had custom fields turned off and now that it is permanently on, every card that ever got copied to the board with a custom field created a custom field on this board. I get the pleasure of deleting 40 custom fields.

I would recommend deleting all the custom fields and then copying your card over, then it will only create the new fields. or just clean up the extra fields and add to your maintenance routing to clean up stray fields that are created by copying. Atlassian is not interested in improving custom fields to include board or card controls as evidenced by them implementing new features and ignoring improving custom fields. The fact that you now can't keep the fields off or control their propagation has created a lot more work for me. Oh Joy!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events