Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a board from school account to home?

Nif_Lindsay June 23, 2020

Hi!

Our department at school has a great "new project template" board that I'd like to duplicate into my personal account for some class projects. However I'm not on the admin team for the board, and since it's a free account, we have maxed out on the amount of boards so I can't even make a copy and then fiddle with the admin permissions. Is there a way to export the board and then upload to my personal account. I have read the other answers on the forum and they all focus on changing the admin permissions which isn't applicable here. 

Thanks for any assistance!

Nif

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2020

@Nif_Lindsay you can copy the board as a personal board, then invite your personal account as a member to the board (you may have to add the board to a new free team that you own personally) then you can leave the board with your work account.

Nif_Lindsay June 27, 2020

I'm sorry, but I can't copy the board - as I said, it is part of my school's departmental account, and I don't have team edit privileges. It also says our account has maxed out the number of free boards so I can't even copy it within the account, nor do I have permission to upgrade to a "trail of business class" just so I can copy one board. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2020

@Nif_Lindsay Hmm okay not sure why you can't copy the board, if you can see a board you can usually copy it:

https://help.trello.com/article/802-copying-cards-lists-or-boards#:~:text=Open%20the%20board's%20menu%2C%20then,it%20to%20your%20new%20board.

Perhaps the issue is that the board has been created in the team as a template rather than a board, in which case you'll need to create a new board from that template before copying it (which won't be possible if you've maxed out your team boards).

Nif_Lindsay June 29, 2020

@Iain Dooley i can't copy the board because it says our team's account is maxed out on the free number of boards.... i don't think it's a template?

sigh. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

@Nif_Lindsay When you copy it, change it from a team board to a personal board:

2020-06-30 at 9.55 pm.png

Nif_Lindsay June 30, 2020

thanks for the lead, @Iain Dooley I did that and it appeared to copy the board to be a private personal board (yay) but then I added my personal email as a team member (had to create a trello account for the separate emails) and while I can see the copied board via my school email/account, I can't find it when I log in via either of my personal emails - both of which I added as team members? Getting closer though?

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2020
Nif_Lindsay June 27, 2020

Thanks for the try, but none of these work! I can only export it in JSON format unless it's a business account (which I have no control over since it's my school department account). It says right at the end of the first article (though I did read through all of them) that there is not currently any way to export or copy a trello board. The only method that might help is doing a screen shot of each card so I can re-create it, which is really time-consuming and subject to human error. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events