Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card-level permissions?

Rich Blundell January 12, 2019

Using a Business-Class account, I run an online course where each student is assigned their own personal card.

I'd like for each student to be able to edit, attach and comment on their own card PLUS a dedicated community card. Students do not need to be able to create cards but I don't mind if they can.

I'd also like to have some cards and lists that only I (the teacher) can edit.

Is there ANY way to add this functionality? Power-ups? Custom code?

Please help?

Oika

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user January 13, 2019

Hi @Rich Blundell,

Could you confirm you are using Jira? Or is it Trello? 

If it is Jira then the following would fulfill your requirements;

1. Roles - You could set up 2 project roles, one for your students and one for yourself or perhaps all teachers. This relates to 
  2. Project Permissions - Set up permissions so that the Student Role has permissions to browse, create issue, add comment, edit issues, create attachments. As well as any others that you may want to give them however the ones I have mentioned fulfill your requirements.
  3. Issue Security Scheme - Follow the documentation to create your own issue security scheme with a default that only allows the Student role to view issues they have reported, are assigned to, as well as any other requirement you would like to set up with the security scheme. 

After setting all this up you should be able to assign issues to each Student an they will not be able to see other issues in the project. They can create and edit issues they can view. 

Hope this helps

Rich Blundell January 13, 2019

Hi Danny, Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response. I am using Trello. Sorry if I asked this in the wrong thread.

R

Deleted user January 13, 2019

Hi @Rich Blundell,

I have updated the tags from JIRA to trello. 

I will look into trello see if the solution can be replicated. 

Danny _Newcastle_UK_ January 14, 2019

DELETED

Deleted user January 14, 2019

Hello @Rich Blundell,

I have looked into Trello's permissions and it does not seem possible to achieve your requirements with one board, instead you could create a board for each student though that seems quite laborious and unhelpful. 

Apologies I cannot be any further assistance 

Rich Blundell January 14, 2019

Thanks. Yes, I discovered that too.

But also wondering if a custom power-up or JavaScript could be made to do the trick - or is it just impossible due to the server-side architecture. 

Who might know the answer to this?

I am also exploring the card-sync approach but that really complicates things because it would require each student create and manage their own board (not to mention configure the sync settings). That's a bit to much to ask of students.

Any further insight from the community would be MUCH appreciated!

Rich

Danny _Newcastle_UK_ January 14, 2019

Hi @Rich Blundell,

I'll throw it out to the other Champions, they may have an option for you. 

If Trello is not a viable solution at least you have a Jira option :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events