Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Trello for Mac using Google with security key for 2fa

Marcus Kamps October 1, 2019

Hi,

I'm attempting to reconnect my Trello for Mac. I selected Sign in with Google and entered my password. My Google account's two-factor authentication is set up to look for my U2F security key. When Google's "Complete sign-in using your security key" prompt comes up in the Trello window, my key does nothing. There is also no option to fall back to an Authenticator code or other method, so I can't log in.

Is there a way to get past this, preferably without changing any of my Google security settings?

Edit: If I leave the screen hanging for several minutes, eventually it times out and offers to try another way, such as an Authenticator code. Which is great! But there's no other way to get to this alternative than by waiting a long time (and not too long, or the whole session will expire), so it would be much better to have that option right away.

2 answers

0 votes
Teddy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2019

Sorry to hear you are still running into trouble! Can you please reach out to our support team directly at https://trello.com/contact so we can help troubleshoot?

Damon Maria
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 25, 2020

Almost a year later and this still seems to be a problem. Any resolution or way around this? 

More of an issue now as we just moved our Trello logins over to Atlassian which are backed by G Suite and therefore this has borked the MacOS desktop app for us all company-wide. 

Like BerkoBob likes this
0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

Yes there is!

I had this problem for a LONG time! 

Check your Chrome extensions - there are loads that don't let Google talk to Trello! I disabled all of mine at once and then turned them back on one by one and refreshed Trello each time to see which one was causing the problem.

Google 'talking' to Trello invovled a cross-site tracker, so any trackers or ad blockers and things like that, don't like it.

Go through each of them until you find the one that's stopping them from 'speaking' and then on that specific extension make sure to 'whitelist' both Trello and Google. Then carry on going through the rest of the extensions, because it's a distinct possibility that it's not just one that's blocking them.

For example, I have Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, Stands, and a number of others that block cross-site tracking, which is exactly what we want Trello to do!

Hope this helps

Esme :)

Marcus Kamps October 3, 2019

Good suggestion, but it hasn't helped in my case. I haven't had any problems logging in via Google Chrome, even with uBlock Origin enabled. It's just the desktop app that doesn't respond to the security key.

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

Oh no! That's not good!

I must admit, I don't use the Desktop app, I have so many Chrome Extensions to make Trello 'better' (being mindful that 'better' is a very subjective word), which don't apply/work inside the desktop app, so I only use Trello on Chrome. I've just checked my iMac and I don't even have it installed any more!

Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

Like Marcus Kamps likes this
Duane Lawrence
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 5, 2020

I'm having this issue with the desktop app as well. 

Mike May 28, 2020

Add me to the list of those who can't log into the app because I use a security key

Like BerkoBob likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events