Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler suddenly started failing to run commands

jmachado December 3, 2021

Butler, all of a sudden, started giving me an error:
"An error occurred while trying to post the message: Internal error."
for every command that involves mentioning someone on Slack.
I have a premium account, so the quotas shouldn't be a problem.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Keli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2021

Hi @jmachado! Keli here with Trello's support team.

Slack recently removed the ability to direct message Slack @usernames using the API. Instead, you'll want to replace the @usernames in your Butler rule with the Slack member ID (step 2 on this article): https://slack.com/help/articles/360003827751-Create-a-link-to-a-members-profile-

...an individual's User ID can be found [in Slack] by clicking the More button in a member's profile, then choosing Copy member ID.

Member IDs are unique to the user. In Butler, replace the rule's @username with @member-ID and your Butler commands should start working again. 

Hope this helps! 

Richard Walker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2021

It doesn't help me. As of last week I also have exactly this problem, but I already switched to using the member ID some time ago.

Richard Walker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2021

It seems that my Butler actions that have the combination of (a) Slack channel = at-member-ID, and (b) delivery "as Butler", no longer work. It is now necessary to create a Slack private channel, say #butler-private, add Butler as an integration to the channel, and change the Butler actions so that Slack channel = #butler-private. This now works for me.

Like • jmachado likes this
jmachado December 6, 2021

@Richard Walker yup, that's what I ended up doing. Had to create a private channel for each individual in my team. Thanks.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2021

Hi @jmachado ðŸ‘‹

Hmm that's strange and definitely not what you want. Given the nature of the issue, my recommendation would be to raise it directly with Trello support to see if this is a bug  affecting all or some users. 

You can raise a support ticket here >> https://trello.com/en-GB/contact#/

I hope this helps and it gets sorted for you as soon as possible 😃

All the best,

Laura

jmachado December 3, 2021

Thank you, I will raise a ticket then.

Have a nice day.

Like • Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ likes this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2021

Brilliant, I hope they get this resolved for you soon 😊

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events