Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s your favourite team ritual? Join the discussion and get a badge! ✨

Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 7, 2024

Rituals are the regular habits, traditions, and processes that teams follow - and they’re often fundamental for building a successful team.

Editor in Chief of The Economist and Team ‘24 speaker Zanny Minton Beddoes described one of her team’s rituals in our Work Life Blog. Each Monday morning, The Economist’s editorial team meets for a pitch session, where anyone can pitch any idea, and have that idea questioned and debated by the rest of the team. Zanny suggests that by interrogating the ideas during the pitching session, ideas are made much stronger!

In the Atlassian Online Community team, we’ve recently started introducing icebreaker questions to kick off our weekly team meetings. Each week on the day before our meeting, I select a question and post it in our team group chat. This way, everyone can have a think about their answer before the meeting and arrive ready to share! With icebreakers, we get to start off our meeting with a bit of fun, and build connections between our team along the way.

So we’d love to hear - do you have a favourite ritual you do with your team? Do your team meetings follow a particular pattern? Or maybe you have regular check-ins asynchronously? Let us know in the comments!

Plus, get our brand new Work Life kudos badge when you join the discussion! Be sure to join the group before adding your comment here to ensure that you receive your badge!

Work Life badge art.png

PS: You can check out what else Zanny had to say here.

35 comments

Comment

Abby Frelich June 7, 2024

My team is project based, so we don't often work together as a group. We get together quarterly for virtual lunch and icebreaker games. It's a nice way to get to know each other personally and take a break from talking about work! 

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 10, 2024

A virtual lunch sounds so lovely! 😊

Like # people like this
Heydi Menéndez June 7, 2024

Hola @Angelie Stephens  !!

Nuestro ritual favorito en el equipo es hacer puestas a punto de los proyectos en los que trabajamos compartiendo un café luego de almorzar, en la oficina tenemos una maquina de café donde nos juntamos alrededor de una pequeña mesita y de forma informal y distendida hablamos sobre el estado de los proyectos en curso e intercambiams ideas sobre mejoras para las actividades y resultados. Es algo que nos une y nos mantiene al tanto del trabajo de nuestros compañeros permientiéndonos además ser parte de los procesos de otros equipos . Es una manera simplificada de gestionar el progreso de las tareas y resulta agradable de compartir por todos los aportes de la charla y el café.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Hi Heydi, hope English is okay! I loved reading about your team's coffee chats, sounds like a great way to work on project details ☕️

Like # people like this
PJ Zaiac
Community Manager
June 7, 2024

Cheating just a little bit because I have the honor of being on the same team as you, Angelie! And as Angelie will know but the larger Community might not - our team runs a weekly ice-breaker before diving into our routine meetings! 

I love getting to know each of my teammates as humans first, and it's always heartwarming to find that even as a very distributed team, we always have common ground 💙

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Happy to hear you're enjoying our team icebreakers!! ✨

Like # people like this
Haunani Nakabara June 7, 2024

At the beginning of our team's monthly meeting, we highlight a teammate.  Ahead of the meeting, the individual answers 5 questions about themselves.  The questions are provided as a quiz for the team to see who knows our teammate the best.  After the quiz is concluded, the highlighted teammate has an opportunity to share more details about their answers so we can get to them even better.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

love this get to know you quiz idea, Haunani! I might have to borrow this one 😁

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2024

I love the idea of using a quiz!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2024

We started Monday Mingle at our Monday standups! Each Monday, we use this handy dandy Slack hack to post a question to our standup channel. We've learned a lot about each other! 

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Monday Mingle is such a fab name for this ritual! 😆

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2024

We run our leadership meetings every Wednesday from 11:30AM-1PM. They are pretty prescriptive to ensure that we get the most out of them, and include a few 'rituals'. We always start the meeting by going around the room and listing our PB's for the week. A PB can be a Personal Best or Professional Best - and we encourage one another to bring both to the table. Hearing the PB's helps us connect and know where we are all coming into the week from.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

So cool that PBs can be either personal or professional, I love it! 😀

Like # people like this
Mithila _Amoeboids Technologies_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2024

Daily scrum meeting is my favorite ritual we do with the team when we start our day of work. It's just for about 15 minutes but it's fruitful. This meeting is essential for us to sync up and ensure smooth collaboration. Here we discuss what we accomplished the previous day and outline our plans for the current day. This practice keeps everyone informed about each other's tasks and progress thereby creating a cohesive work environment.

By sharing our daily plans, we tend to identify any dependencies or areas where approvals or discussions are needed and need to address some tasks promptly. This ritual enhances our productivity and strengthens our team dynamics.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

It's so nice that meeting each day is so helpful for your team, Mithila! 🙌

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2024

We recently introduced weekly team meetings, taking place each Wednesday from 3 to 4 PM. As most of us work remotely, we decided to encourage showing up at the office on Wednesday so we actually see each other and maybe even have a drink or 2 after work. Really great initiative from the whole team, as, honestly, most people wouldn't even come to the office at all if it wasn't for that. We don't have any rituals (just yet), but I hope to find some ideas among the comments 😀

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

So nice that your team uses weekly meetings as a reason for in-person time, Tomislav! 😁

Like # people like this
Frankie C_ June 10, 2024

Our teams have adopted the idea of a shared, cross-team demo at the end of each sprint. Teams had already been doing a great job of establishing feedback loops with business partners, but some felt there was a gap around awareness into what our internal partner teams were working on each sprint. So every two weeks, we have an internal team demo focused on promoting the work partner teams are delivering, and giving peers an opportunity to share feedback. It has made the quality of the work better, and has also given several team members a platform (and confidence) to speak to their work. It has become one of our program's (and CPO's) favorite rituals :)

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Sounds like a fantastic way to find out more about what different teams are working on! 🙌

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2024

For in-person meetings, snacks.

All other meetings, reminding the team to keep it short and sweet, just the facts, daily stand ups are not in-depth status meetings.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Snacks might just be my favourite ritual of all 😆🍫

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2024

While waiting for everyone to join a refinement or sprint planning meeting, our scrum master will take a few minutes to discuss if anyone has any announcements or personal celebrations coming up. 

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

A lovely way to start off your team meetings, Barbara! 😊

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
Claire Chisholm
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2024

We have a quarterly team meeting where we celebrate each other's achievements with awards, all of which are nominated by peers. It's such a fun way to celebrate each other and be celebrated! 

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Taking time to celebrate together sounds so nice! 🎊

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
Dilara Erecek _Avisi Apps_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2024

We’ve got this cool recruitment ritual where for the second interview, we invite candidates to our office for a team lunch. It’s all about making them feel relaxed and seeing them in a natural setting. After lunch, we spend most of the afternoon working on a case study together – something they’d be doing if they started the next day.

Once the case study is done, we hang out with drinks and snacks. This gives us a chance to see if they fit in with our team vibe, and we can check if the whole team likes the candidate. It’s not just about their hard skills, of course we’re also looking at their soft skills and whether they’re a cultural fit.

This approach has really helped us build the amazing team we have today. We’re all about finding people who are great at what they do and who also get along well with everyone at Avisi Apps.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 10, 2024

Wow that's such an interesting recruitment ritual! Thank you for sharing, Dilara! 😊

Like # people like this
Ciara TN
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2024

Hi, loved reading all the rituals, some good ideas to bring in house. 

Ours is an onsite breakfast morning where each of the offices has the same presentation but in a cozy set up with a Swedish breakfast served up. Always time to chat after about it in smaller groups and also to catch up with colleagues.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 12, 2024

Catching up over a Swedish breakfast sounds fantastic, Ciara! 😄

Like # people like this
Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2024

Hi

My favorite ritual for both Mondays and Fridays is to meet in a virtual room because the team is relocated and get together for no more than 15 minutes, to connect, talk about general things, without getting into work topics to do a little networking, talk of human things that affect us all and then the last minutes we do decide how to face the week as we have closed it and take stock of things to improve or continue doing for the following week, it brings us closer as people and everyone is very happy with this activity

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 13, 2024

Sounds like a super concise & effective team building session! 🙌

Like # people like this
Georg Mayer June 11, 2024

We as a small consulting company with 5 people, we have one fixed appointment (otherwise we work almost exclusively remotely) : 

One day on site once a month.

For this team day we are always organizing different things, for example games to get to know each other, escape rooms, outdoor action (last time with very interesting disc golf :-) ).

There is also the big monthly retro of this team day. During this retrospective, we want to make sure that everybody is pulling in the same direction and that there are no disruptive obstacles.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
June 13, 2024

I'm very intrigued by disc golf 🤔 This monthly catch up sounds great, Georg! 

Like # people like this
Natasa Sebek June 13, 2024

Rant calls ;)

Like # people like this
Juan Carlos Pin June 14, 2024

Hi all!

In a previous team I was in, just before the second part of the day, we used to play "Blind Movies", lots of laugh and fun, so engaging to build trust and start working relaxed and focused.

Like # people like this
Brett Evans
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 17, 2024

I like to have 2 key rituals, one is to have some form of non work related item which is usually to stimulate conversation and break the ice. With the team below it was to get a picture of a pet and add it into physical board once a sprint.
20170525_103159.jpg

The other is to constantly reference back to a shared vision of mission at the start of a meeting or gathering and reference back how this event should help drive towards that vision or mission.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2024

My team has a few traditions we use. One is definitely the ice breaker before some of our SAFe ceremonies. Another thing we do on a recurring basis is review our plays that we have done using the Team Playbook and consistently looking for new ones we can do. I find that these plays foster trust amongst team members and get the team talking to each other. Also, for those of you who have never done https://codenames.game/ you should try it with your team. It is so much fun! 

Another is in most of our Community of Practice (COP) meetings we do lean coffee and that also really gets people talking to the point we solve real problems. 

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
July 11, 2024

Love that you use the Team Playbook @Summer_Hogan ! I'm definitely going to have to check out the Codenames game as well 😁

Like # people like this
Liz Tanner June 28, 2024

I'm a one human band now, but I had an awesome ID Team manager that lead a fully remote L&D team of four I was in. She held a 1-hr weekly team check-in meeting every week, regardless of whether we were working a team project or not.

EOD the day before each meeting, she sent an agenda with the first 5-10 min. set for an icebreaker question. Topics ranged from favorite band, career/skill building/certification courses we were interested in, weirdest pet growing up-everything!

These weekly team touchpoints each Wednesday were very simple by design yet had an overwhelmingly positive impact on our team. By incorporating the weekly, random icebreakers into our agenda, it subtly revealed our personalities behind the professionals, enabled exchanges of career and skill development resources, and established team trust by setting a culture of open, transparent communication.

...and I totally stole this method to create team exercises and rituals with my own teams! :)

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
July 11, 2024

I'm also a huge fan of random topic icebreaker questions, Liz! 😊 

Like # people like this
John D Patton June 29, 2024

My favorite team ritual is our weekly “Win of the Week” sessions conducted asynchronously on Slack. Every Friday morning, we post a thread in our designated Slack channel where each team member shares one professional accomplishment or personal victory from the past week. This practice allows us to celebrate our collective and individual successes, even if we’re working remotely or in different time zones. It helps boost morale, encourages reflection on our achievements, and promotes a culture of appreciation and recognition. Sharing these wins on Slack also offers insights into each other’s work and lives, strengthening our team bonds and creating a sense of unity. I find it to be an uplifting way to end the week, allowing everyone to head into the weekend with a sense of accomplishment and connection. 

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
July 11, 2024

This is lovely, John! Such a great way to connect async 😁

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2024

We have a ritual I like of everyone posting in one Slack channel to say good morning or if you're stepping away to run an errand or have a sick child so may not be 100% there. It makes people feel more connected, and limits 'hello' chatter and availability to this channel, which makes it less distracting too.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
July 11, 2024

Having a chatter specific Slack channel is such a great idea, Carolyn! 

Like # people like this
Jovin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2024

The main routine I love doing with the team is "Homeroom". Once a week we get together virtually online and do non-work related activities - show & tells, quick party games online, or just having some time socialising. They're obviously not mandatory but a great way to connect!

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
July 11, 2024

Homeroom sounds like a great time, Jovin! 🙌

Like # people like this
Varsha Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2024

We have a few routines, but the best one is where we hop on a virtual happy hour, talk about things other than work. I find that really refreshing and creates strong team. It's mostly movies, things they have done.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
July 11, 2024

Love the idea of a virtual happy hour, Varsha! 🍻☕️🧋

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events