I want to add Values to my Component Drop down field.

Thomas Fritzen August 19, 2020

I have a drop down field on my Create screen called Component that only has one value.  I would like to add more values to this drop down.  Where can I do this?  

Thomas 

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

Hi @Thomas Fritzen 

Next-Gen field configuration is from within the Project Settings.

To make this modification:

• On your project, go to Project Settings (bottom-left corner)
  • Select Issue Types from the left-hand menu
  • Select an Issue Type this field is on
  • Locate the field in the Issue Layout and click on it
  • The drop-down options will expand - press "+Add Option" at the bottom to add new options
  • Press Save Changes to confirm the edit

^ This will make the modification to all issues which use this field.

Ste

I am bullet point 

Locate the field in the Issue Layout and click on it

I see this.  what do I select from here.  

Thomas 

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 11.57.35 AM.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

Hi @Thomas Fritzen 

You're in a Classic Project - the question is posted in the Next-Gen area which is why I assumed you might be in that project type.

For Classic Projects, you'll need to be a Jira Admin to make the modification - then:

1. Go to Jira Settings (cog icon in top-right) > Issues
  2. Select Custom Fields from the left-hand menu
  3. Search for your field - then select the breadcrumbs (3-dots icon) on the far-right of the field's row
  4. From the menu, select "Contexts and Default Value"
  5. Select "Edit Options" - fill in new options and press "Add"
  6. Select "Done" when complete

^ Just remember that this will change the options for all screens that use this field - and all projects using the same screens in their screen schemes / issue type screen scheme.

If you do have multiple projects utilising the fields and you want to change the options for just a selection of them:

1. From Step 4 above, press "Add new context" first
  2. Give the scheme a name, confirm which issue types the options will apply to - and select just the required projects from the list - then press "Add"
  3. Your new scheme will appear below the original - from here, you can configure options which will only appear in your project and the issue types you select - all other projects / issue types will use the Default

Let us know if you need any further help :)

Ste

So I am trying to so what you said above.  I see the component on my Create screens but I cannot find it under Custom Fields.  I am an admin.  This is Odd.  I would assume that it would be there but I cannot find it.  

Thomas 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2020

Hi @Thomas Fritzen 

The only other alternative is this is the actual Component/s field - as opposed to a custom drop-down field.

Try this as a Project Admin:

1. Go to Project Settings > Components (left-hand menu)
  2. See if the one value is in this list
  3. If yes, this is the default field - press "Create Component" in the top-right corner to add more

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events