Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree won't start after Windows Update on June 13, 2023

Vincent Miller June 15, 2023

Greetings!

After a Windows Update --June 13, 2023—KB5027215 (OS Builds 19044.3086 and 19045.3086) my SourceTree will not start.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

29 votes
Answer accepted
Panometric June 15, 2023

Per this link:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Sourcetree-won-t-load/qaq-p/1078409 

Delete or rename the file:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_Url_g2rz5ptqinf2ev4p2npuuoobrwccav35\3.4.12.0\Composition.cache

It worked for me. 

Here is the likely update that causes it. 

June 13, 2023-KB5027538 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2 

NOTE This has been fixed on the other thread:

We have fixed this issue in Sourcetree 3.4.14 which will be available soon.

Currently Sourcetree 3.4.14 beta is available for beta users.

Vincent Miller June 15, 2023

Hi

I renamed the Composition.cache file and all is well!

Thank you Panometric!

I appreciate the help.

Like # people like this
Rich Mullen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 15, 2023

This worked for me! (And a few others I work with) Thanks!

Like Panometric likes this
Matthew Sykes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 15, 2023

Same issue and the fix worked for me too.  Thanks so much for the post!

Jaroslav Slavo Sumbal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 19, 2023

thanks a lot :) helped me as well

Pavel O_ June 22, 2023

Thank you!

Scott Gaster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 24, 2023

Solution worked.
I had same issue and found matching error entries in the sourcetree.log file.

I would add extra info: In my case I had multiple folders under
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\

1 named SourceTree, and 3 named SourceTree.exe_(long strings)

I picked the folder with most recent date and renamed the Composition.cache found down inside it and problem solved.

Like # people like this
BartmanDilaw July 10, 2023

Hi everyone

This solution doesn't work for me
I'm running full updated Windows 11  Professionnal french edition

I've uninstalled Sourcetree and deleted all directories with the name of "Atlassian" or "Sourcetree" that I've found.

I reload lastest 3.4.14 release and reinstalled it.

First launch works fine (with system default settings - french language and light desktop)

I turn those 2 parameters to English language and dark desktop and restart app.

Then sourcetree won't work anymore - tried several times

Got "Unable to set owner as parent is not visible or non-existent" in sourcetree.log (no more)

Can anybody help me with this please ?

Thanks.

BartmanDilaw July 11, 2023

Hey

Found out what was wrong

In user.config file, I've got one extra character that is not supported. I think it's a bad copy paste action that made all wrong.

<setting name="DefaultEmail" serializeAs="String">
<value>myemail@theserver.com&#x13;</value>
</setting>

Hope this helps somebody.

Regards.  

vr017196
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 21, 2023

Delete or rename the file:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree.exe_Url_g2rz5ptqinf2ev4p2npuuoobrwccav35\3.4.12.0\Composition.cache

Above solution worked for me.

Like # people like this
Muhammadalikhalid
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 16, 2024

Thanks that's worked for me.

pritam kumari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 21, 2024

Thanks, worked for me! 

0 votes
Lester Bloom June 15, 2023

I came here to report the exact same thing

Sourcetree worked for me minutes before applying the Windows Update (mine was on 6/14/2023), but now Sourcetree won't open.

It immediately closes after trying to launch the app.

Restarting my PC has done nothing.

Windows EventViewer shows no activity under Windows Logs -> Application

Maedeh Aram
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 26, 2023

I have also problem to open source tree currently. When I run the exe file, actually nothing starts. I can not find the Composition.cache file in the folder of Atlassian.   Is there any suggestion to solve this? Thanks!

Scott Gaster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 26, 2023

Using my Windows 11 PC as a reference and following the instructions in the answer provided by 'Panometric':
Find C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\
Ensure you can see AppData (hidden by default).
Inside the "Atlassian" folder (directory if you prefer) I had more than one subfolder.
The first was named "SourceTree". Don't mess with that one.
The additional folders all have a name prefix of "SourceTree.exe_" plus a long suffix representing a uniqueIdentifier.
Each of those additional folders represent different versions I have had installed on my machine.
My assumption is when you update, the folders are not removed in case you want to roll-back to a previous version.
I said in my earlier post I chose one with the most recent date, but it would be more correct to say "choose one that matches your current version". You can determine the folder's version number because as you drill down into the folders you will find one that is named with a version number. Drill all the way down through the folders to find the Composition.cache file. You can also try the Explorer Search.
Renaming or deleting that Composition.cache (I prefer to rename, just in case) will cause the app the generate a new file when it is launched. So, if you are 100% certain that file does not exist and the app still fails to launch I would suspect you have a different issue.
For more info while troubleshooting, you can look in the log file that was mentioned previously:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\(uniquestring)sourcetree.log
In my case I had dozens of log files. I picked the one that was most recently touched and found entries at the bottom that matched the original post (the entries are dated).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events