Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows vs Linux install

Jeff Serviss May 5, 2013

We currently have a Jira and Greenhopper install on a Windows Server 2008(4 core/ 64 bit/ 6g ram). We are looking at adding other Atlassian products(Fisheye/Confluence/Stash). It was suggested, by someone in our office, that the overall performance will be better on a Linux server. Is there a recommendation on what OS to install some of the Atlassian suite on? With our current Windows setup, we don't have any issues. The concern is coming from installing the other plugins.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Well, as from Atlassian product side, I don't think that there should be any difference between platforms as long as the platform is supported, and enough resources are given for the product.

However, if your concern is about the OS itself, well maybe Linux is more stable than Windows (I'm talking in general here).

So, you can install your new plugins on Windows with no worries as long as the resources are enough. :)

benwag May 12, 2013

I have a similar question - based on the following statement from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Using+Stash+in+the+enterprise:

Although Stash can be run on Windows, Linux and Mac systems, for enterprise use we only recommend, and support, Linux. This recommendation is based on our own testing and experience with using Stash.

could you qualify what distinction Atlassian makes between "production" and "enterprise", and what the implications of only supporting a Linux installation are? To provide some context for my situation, if I were to consider adopting Stash it would be initially for a team of around 5 people, in a Windows-only environment. Obviously, it would be a limiting factor if we were unsure as to whether we may become unsuppported as our environment/team grows.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events