Help with CSV imports?

This feels like a pretty basic question, but the official documentation is somewhat unclear about whether I can actually do what I'm trying to do.

I've been asked to set up the system so that we can import CSV files of test cases for our QA department. They find it easier to create test cases in bulk in spreadsheets rather than in Jira proper. Looking around seems to suggest that I should be able to import data into Jira this way, but the Jira Importer tool seems to be more relevant to full-on project migrations.

I don't want to incidentally screw anything up playing around with this, can anyone give me a little more direction in terms of importing data and adding it to existing projects (Jira 4.4.1)? Is this actually possible?

Thanks,
Ryan

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I did some more looking around, apparently the import feature I was looking for isn't something you can navigate to in the menus unless you're a system administrator, not a Jira administrator. Not sure why this is necessary, but at least that explains why I couldn't find it.

<jira domain>/secure/admin/views/CsvSetupPage!default.jspa?externalSystem=CSV

The csv importer is geared for new issue creation. So you can import into an existing project if you want. You may want to take a look at the command line tool to see if it would meet your needs as well.

JIRA Command Line Interface can do this and we use it for that same purpose. How to import data from external systems or databases has more information.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Thursday in United States

Local Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th

We're looking for participants for another workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sh...

73 views 0 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you