"Upload Failed" after inactivity from Excel 2016 (MacOS)

Martial Millioud July 26, 2018

I am pretty new to Confluence. We are very small company running Confluence 6.10.1.
I'm using Excel 2016 (MacOS). I have some page where we use Excel as template. If I click the "Edit Document" from Confluence page, everything is open properly in Excel, I can edit and save the document succesfully.
Problem start after a few minutes of inactivity in the Excel spreadsheet, if I resume my work and want to save, I get the "Upload Failed, We're sorry this didn't work, Try saving again later...". Only option is to discard all changes and reopen the document from Confluence. As the problem seems to start after a few minutes of inactivity, there is probably a session timeout parameter somewhere in Confluence side. As I am pretty new to Confluence, could anyone maybe direct me where to look at ?

Thank you ! 

1 answer

0 votes
Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2018

Hi @Martial Millioud

There are some known issues with Office Connector. Based on the operating system, office, browser and Confluence versions please see if any of the situations given in https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/edit-office-files-170494553.html apply in your case. 

If none of them help, please write back with the above specifics. I hope that helps.

best,
Kris G 

Martial Millioud July 30, 2018

Thanks Kris for your help. I review the article you mentioned already.

I've taken into considerations all requirements mentionned, like to use firefox 56 maxiumuto have the WwebDAV plugin working.
I am running MacOS 10.3 wiht Office 2016. I can open the document on Confluence through Firefox but after some time of inactivity, I can't save anymoe back to the server. I get the following error. This is pretty annoying as you can guess. I suppose this is just some kind of time-out parameters...but not sure where to search.

Thanks again

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 17.15.40.png

Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2018

There are no time-out parameters that I am aware of, @Martial Millioud

Did you try other browsers like Chrome, IE, Safari, etc. ? If not, can you please do so and see if that helps ? 

If it's the same behavior on all the browsers, please write back with the browser versions. 

Sorry that this is happening to you. 

best,
Kris G 

Martial Millioud July 31, 2018

Kris, if I understand correctly, if you are running MacOS, there is only one supported path for editing "live" Office documents from Confluence, this is Firefox v56 maximum with extension WebDAV Launcher.

I don't think this makes sense to test other browers from the different articles I could read..

Thanks Kris for trying

Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2018

Well, I am not sure what you mean by "if you are running MacOS, there is only one supported path for editing "live" Office documents from Confluence". 

You can edit "live" Office documents on other browsers too. I just tried it on Chrome and Safari on a MacOS and I can edit them, though not being able to save the changes after inactivity is the actual issue. If Firefox is the only browser you need to run on, it could be an issue as outlined in the above article. 

Sorry that I could be of only limited help here. Am I missing anything that you are trying to say ? 

best,
Kris G 

Martial Millioud August 1, 2018

Hi Kris,

I am looking for a solution where I can edit and save Office documents without having to reconnect every 3,4 or 5 minutes. Logically I would go with the more or less official way which is Firefox and its plugin (but not really clear if MacOS platform is part of it) the other options which I tested partialy, suffer from the same problem so this is why I do not mention Chrome, Safari or whatever else.
In the end, I am looking for a working path with Confluence and a MacOS client running Office 2016. We seem to have a different problem from anything described in docs, disconnection after inactivity, it seems like a time-out issue with the WebDAV component...but well looks like nobody has an answer to this.
Can you confirm that you had the same disconnection problem after a few minutes of inactivity ? That can motivate myself to open a ticket if this is a shared issue. This would as well clarify if I am in a supported scenario or not.

Thanks again

Like Ingo Czok likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events