How to display substasks on the Jira backlog ?

Claire March 15, 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm using a SCRUM board and so far, I only see the stories but I would need to display the subtasks associated to the stories. With the display of subtasks I assume that I will be able to filter on subtasks labels and be able to get the sum of Story points by swimlane for a specific label. 

My team is using "FRONT" and "BACK" labels to split the stories in subtasks and to check each team capacity before launching a sprint we need to get the sum of story points for each label. 

Does anyone know how to make this work ? 

Many thanks !! 

5 answers

6 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2021

Hi @Claire 

Welcome to community!

This is currently not possible. Vote and follow the feature request on this -> https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-7992

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2021

You can see them on the backlog - add the "subtasks" field to the card display.  This will show you the list of sub-tasks for each issue you have on the board.

Of course, you can't do a lot with them, other than know that they are there - you can't rank them in a backlog, put them into a sprint or estimate on them (because they're part of their parent issue, not separate items), but at least you can see them if you do this.

Deleted user October 15, 2021

Thanks Nic. 

Ad December 8, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
could you please share snapshots of "add the "subtasks" field to the card display"
I can't seem to find these configs.
All i need is for the subtasks to be listed on the backlog - just so that the team is aware of them. 

Like Gibran Padilla likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Go to "board settings" and then "Card Layout"

Like 김재원 likes this
Cindie Zayani July 13, 2023

@Ad The view is not perfect. But you kinda saved my day 👌

Sunny January 15, 2024

It works to me, thanks, Nic.

Jessica Ketcham March 26, 2024

I don't have Subtasks added on my card display and I'm seeing them in the backlog.

0 votes
Bogdan Tenea November 29, 2023
0 votes
tertius_keen April 20, 2023

This is all well and good but I have not completed my rocket science degree yet and picturs and simple explanations by atlassian in an intuitive way would be nice.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Rocket science is nowhere near as complex as most people think it is.

Where are you stuck on clicking through things?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events