How does the "text" search work in Jira Cloud?

rneill19 March 20, 2024

Hi!

In Jira Data Center, I was able to run a search like this that would return results:

project = [project key] and text ~ "key word"

^That search is no longer returning any results in Jira Cloud. I did some searching and tried reformatting my search to the following:

project = [project key] AND text ~ "\"key word\""

but that isn't returning any results either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for running this type of search in Jira Cloud?

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hi @rneill19 - From my testing text is still working as expected.  I just ran a few scenarios in my environment and I'm getting results where my desired text is stored in the summary or description. 

Is the search you're trying to perform against a custom field created by a marketplace app?  In that scenario, it is possible that the search functionality broke due to some limitations that exist on marketplace apps in Cloud.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Adding to this...

Can you provide a specific example of your search filter and an issue that you think should be in the results but is not?

And can you confirm that the field that holds the text for which you are searching is one of the fields or field types supported by the text search, as documented here?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/jql-fields/#Text

rneill19 March 20, 2024

Hello! Thank you both for your quick replies. I am just searching in a specific project for a customer's name which exists in several text fields both custom and system (i.e. comments, summary, description) and it's not generating any results for me.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events