How do I create a card from a text message?

When I get a text message on my phone that needs an action, I want to create a Trello card for that action. I've spent a lot of time searching around for an answer but can't find any references to text messaging actions.  Thanks for any help.  BTW, I have no ides what the tags mean, so I have no idea where this will go. I guess you can tell I'm a newbie.

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes
Boris Berenberg Community Champion Mar 21, 2018

Are you looking for a way to go from a text message to sharing the contents into a Trello card? Are you on iPhone or Android?

Yes, I want the data from the text message to be put on a card. So I can process the task later. I'm using iPhone w/latest version of IOS.  The std msg app won't even let me copy the contents of the msg to create a card in the Trello app.

Thanks for your help.

Boris Berenberg Community Champion Mar 22, 2018

I don't think thats possible from an iOS standpoint. iOS doesn't allow actions on individual text messages as far as I know. You would need to copy and paste the message into a new card, or take a screenshot, and then share that into the Trello app.

Messages won't let me copy the contents of the text msg; but a screen shot will take care of it.  Thanks for your help.  (I know I responded by email, but I got a reminder that says I need to click (something I don't see right now) to show my questions is complete.) Thanks again.

I find I CAN copy the text of the message with a press and hold which pops up, among other things, a Copy option. Then I launch Trello and begin a card creation, press and hold again which pops up the Paste option for the card name. Thus the msg text becomes the card "name".  (In my usual procedure, I actually paste the copied text as a new checklist item on an existing card.) Sorry for my misinformation. It does take quite a few steps per message so I may look around for a quicker way. 

I have also been looking for a solution.

I am currently using “workflow” IOS app (bought by Apple recently). You may be able to create a work around using this app.

Please let me know how you get on..

See my 4/6 reply above. I'll check out the "workflow".  Thanks for the idea.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

465 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you