It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Feature Request: Fix version as a driver for slack plugin channel notification Edited

As part of the slack integration we are able to choose from a number of drivers/filters as to when a slack notification is sent.

Screenshot 2019-02-18 at 12.45.25.png

One of the main reasons we want to notify a channel in slack is that a feature has been made available. Whilst many may consider a status of "Done" to be sufficient, a "Done" ticket in our workflow (and I believe, in jira workflows generally) is that a Done ticket is basically code (etc) complete, but isn't available to users until it has been deployed/released. i.e. for us that means it has a fix version that refers to a release that has, well, been released.

I would very much like, and hope others would also find useful, an addition to the slack filter options that allow us to promote a message to slack when ticket is "released", or at least has a fix version set, as this is the best indicator for us that a feature is available.

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Feb 20, 2019

Hey Mitch,

That's a great use-case! As you've found, the existing integration doesn't have a way for you to do this, and unfortunately I can't think of an easy way to implement this with another solution. The closest thing I'm aware of is using a deployment succeeded notification with the Bitbucket Cloud for Slack app if you happen to be using Bitbucket for your deployments and releases. Even then, that doesn't necessarily help you track specific features that would be represented by Jira issues.

I've passed this request on to our product managers. Thanks for noting this use case!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Hi Daniel, thanks but no we don't use bitbucket for our deployments. Thanks for passing on the request!

Hi @Daniel Eads - has this made it into your backlog? :) 

Thanks!

This would be extremely valuable for our team as well!

0 votes

Hey @Mitch Kent ,

Earlier this year we released a feature in the Slack integration that lets you set JQL filters to be notified against. Consider this JQL filter:

fixVersion is not EMPTY

Triggering a message on an update action with this JQL filter should get you a notification more or less when you're looking for one.

image.png

If your existing filter is in basic mode, you'll need to click the Switch to JQL option on the right side to add in your own JQL filter:

image.png

Additionally there's a separate feature request in the backlog for notifications when a version is released but the JQL should help out at an individual issue level.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for this workaround - I will give it a shot! And I have up-voted the API-12 ticket as well :)

Thanks and regards,

Mitch.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

230 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you