Migrate cloud projects into another cloud instance with no datacenter

Charles Vinasoy June 2, 2021

Cloud Instance A has 5 JIRA software projects, 1 Service Management and Confluence

Cloud Instance B has 3 Service Management and Confluence

No Datacenter

I want to migrate 3 JIRA software projects to Instance B and one of the solutions that I found is to create a backup and restore, the question is does it affect the existing projects on Instance B (e.g. Service Management and Confluence data will be deleted)?

I haven't found clear documentation for this kind of scenario and I need your help to verify that my solution is correct and safe.

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2021

Hi @Charles Vinasoy , 

if you do a backup and restore, it will completely wipe the Jira instance where you will import the data. This means it will not merge the projects, but overwrite the current data.

If you need to migrate projects between Cloud instances, I would recommend a CSV export of your issues and then import it in the target Jira instance : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Charles Vinasoy June 21, 2021

Hi Alexis,

I'm having issues on importing from CSV:

• Assignee Id missing on the selection mapping
  • Import completed with errors:
    • Cannot create user [name]: User [name] has invalid e-mail address [name@]
  • For all imported issues the Assignee is Unassigned and the Reporter is always in my Name.
Like Giulyanna Loureiro likes this
0 votes
Giulyanna Loureiro September 9, 2021

Hi I have a related question:

I need to migrate issues to a new jira instance. I'm wondering if it's better to migrate the whole project and delete the tickets I don't need in the new instance or if the CSV option you suggested would be the tidiest way. If the latter, I imagine I would need to re-create the project in the new instance to accommodate these migrated tickets?

Can you help please? What would be the safest way not to misplace any data?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events