How can I clone a board?

Thomas Wrobel November 20, 2017

I did not find a way to clone a board in the new Jira. How can I do this?

9 answers

1 accepted

21 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Wrobel November 22, 2017

This is ridiculous. I used to work with copied boards a lot. Now in the new design, there seems to be no way to do this. Is there really no way to do this?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2017

@Thomas Wrobel, we’re you not able to copy via the view all boards and selecting the board of your choice? To get to the view all boards you click on the magnifying glass (search).

Like # people like this
Thomas Wrobel November 22, 2017

Thanks, @Jack Brickey, you're a life saver. I must say, that under the magnifying glass is not the most obvious or intuitive places in my opinion. But now I have found "all boards", everything is fine. 

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2017

indeed. an example of why I moved to the old UI. I like the new UI in a lot of respects but I miss my menu bar. Part of this is because I was used to it but part because my common tasks are at my finger tips.

Like # people like this
Ryan Michel January 31, 2018

I agree, there should also be a "View all boards" from the Project page where the boards are listed as a dropdown in the individual project container boxes towards the top (i.e. the "View all boards" should show up as the last entry in the dropdown). I hunted all over and didn't think to find all board management in the Search context

Like jk likes this
Damir Colak April 16, 2018

The new UI is plain sick. How in the world would you expect someone to find that option? :-) 

Deleted user June 7, 2018

Where is this mythical "View all boards"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

@[deleted], if on cloud...

click magnifying glass and under the Recent Boards click "view all boards"

Where is "Recent Boards"?

Screen shot please!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

Again, this only applies if you are using the new UI on Cloud. Clicking Magnifying Glass should yield something like this.

111.jpg

Like # people like this

OOHHHHHH!!!!  Great. Thank you!

Can Baysal July 21, 2018

Thanks a lot.... After playing some hide and seek :(

Jason Rosen January 3, 2020

Wow... now that is some really poor UI design.

Come on Atlassian... you can do better than this! :(

Like # people like this
Johnny Lombardo February 26, 2020

just tried this.

fyi, the option is non-existant for "next-gen" boards even in the "all boards" view

Like # people like this
AARON PALAZON BARBER February 1, 2021

thank you!! i have 24 filters in my board!! you save my time!!

Like Jason Rosen likes this
2 votes
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

To copy a board

1. goto https://yoursite-here.net/jira/boards

2.  click ... (ellipisis) and choose copy from the dropdown

3. you should now see your copied board in your project.

Harry Slaughter March 29, 2022

Thank you for this.

In the current UI if you go to dashboard / view all dashboards it takes you to /jira/dashboards, which does NOT show all the boards.

When I go to /jira/boards, I see a smaller list of dashboards that includes those hidden in the first link.

Blech.

erica.low January 3, 2023

So helpful -- thank you!!

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2017

I have recently switched back to the old UI but believe if you go to view all boards page you can click on the elipses to the right of the board you wish to copy.

0 votes
Steven March 19, 2020

I found this link that allows you to clone "copy" and board and all its columns. etc.

https://worldplaydev.atlassian.net/secure/ManageRapidViews.jspa

Johnny Lombardo March 20, 2020

Hi, 

We need to "Request Access" to that link, yet the "Request Access" feature is currently broken/unavailable.

Help?

0 votes
Nathan Briggs February 19, 2020

Followed all this and the 3 little dots to copy are missing on next-gen projects still there on kanban and scrum wtf Atlassian?

yup

Yannick Hoffmann June 22, 2021

Yes, I would also need to copy Next-Gen boards

0 votes
Christine Saxon September 21, 2018

Thanks Jack- you sir are a life saver, many thanks!

0 votes
Gavin McMurdo September 18, 2018

@Atlasssian - can we get a response for this question please? It has been almost a year.

without this feature - it pretty much makes Jira unusable for me

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2018

@Gavin McMurdo, while i'm not an Atlassian I can try to assist.

What are you looking for here? The original post was about how to copy a board which has been answered? Is that what you are looking for or something else? If something else I would encourage you to create a new question if an answer does not exist. 

Romain February 27, 2019

Found it, thanks !

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2019

@Romain , this really should be a new question as it seems different. That said....

• first understand that boards are just visual representations of issues in one or more projects they do not define the workflows.
  • if you have a new project and you are looking to create a board that looks/behaves similar to an existing board you can certainly copy the other one, edit the filter to associate to the new project and then tweak from there. The key here is you must edit the new boards filter because it is associated w/ the old project(s) and that is why you will see issues from that project.
  • If you want to extend the same workflow from one project to another that is a different matter. You can make a copy of the workflow which will go into the Inactive workflows. Here you can then edit them to be precisely what you want and then in the new project associate that workflow w/ the desired Issuetypes.

Maybe i'm not understanding your question/issue?

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
Romain February 27, 2019

Sorry I edited my question at the same time you answered. I did not think you would be so fast ! :)

So I repeat it here so that people understand your answer :

I actually want to create a new project but I want to copy all the parameters of the board of my previous project (type of issues, fields, workflow, columns etc.). I tried with the method described above but it copied all the tickets as well, when I actually want a blank board.

So thank you for your answer, I start to understand the concept of the board which is just the view. I am going to try what you described. 

Many thanks,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2019

got it. So you really want to clone a project not a board. there are some good threads on this in the Community so I would suggest using the search bar. There isn't a clone per se but there are things you can do to reuse aspects of your old project: schemes, workflows, etc. 

0 votes
Thomas Wrobel November 21, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. It just seems that with the "new" Jira there is no "Boards" drop down anymore. 

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2017

You can copy a board in JIRA. From the "boards" drop down you can click on "View all boards" and from there when you see the list of boards then you can click on the options available for the board and copy the board.

Where is this "Boards" drop-down? I don't see it!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

@[deleted], the drop down exists for server but not cloud. At least it used to be on Server so assume it is still there. :-)

Okay, so cloud we can not view all boards, clone boards, etc?

Mardee Brosh July 25, 2018

Hi @[deleted], you can clone boards but the navigation is different in Cloud. Click on the magnifying glass icon in the blue nav bar on the left, then select "View all boards."  From there, you can select the board you want to copy. As other mentioned above, it's less than intuitive but at least the feature is still there.

fyi, the option is non-existant for "next-gen" boards even in the "all boards" view

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer