how to delete private filter

Emily Triyonis January 27, 2017

I know how to delete shared but how do you delete a private one?

4 answers

6 votes
Meigy Tsai December 11, 2019

Actually, you can do this if you are an admin of the system. You can go into Jira->Jira settings->System->Shared filters and then delete it (or take over ownership).

maria_onufrow August 2, 2021

thanks this was exactly what I was looking for.

Like Meigy Tsai likes this
Charles Wood March 30, 2022

This IS the answer. Needs more votes to be at the top....

Like Meigy Tsai likes this
3 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2017

Only an owner can delete a private filter. You can do it from the database too but you will have to raise a support ticket with Atlassian for the cloud instance.

I am the owner of the private ones but I do not know how to delete them as I don't see a clear 'delete' option when viewing all filters.

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2017

If you are the owner, click on the "Issues" drop down and select "View all filters". You can then click on the "..." on the right side to reveal all the operations available on the filter, including 'Delete'.

Like # people like this

That "..." isn't available in the 'view all filters' screen. What i found was:

Deleting a filter

You can delete custom filters, but you cannot delete default system filters.

1. Click the My tab on the 'Filters' page.
  2. Locate the filter you wish to delete, click more () > Delete
Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2017

Hmm, that's strange. You cannot delete default filters but you won't find them under your filter list either. If you are seeing the filter but not seeing the dots, it might be a bug. I can see it fine in my instance.

Maybe you can attach a screenshot to show what you are seeing!

Daniel Connolly August 3, 2017

What version are you using? For the cloud JIRA v1000.1154.0

- click on issues and you should see "manage Filters" at the bottom of the list

- click that and you will get a list of filters that you own

- click on the "..." next to the filter you wat to delete and you will get an option to delete

Grzegorz Woźniczka April 13, 2018

"at the bottom of the list" in many cases means under visible area. Total UX misunderstanding.

Peter Kidson June 28, 2018

Similar to Daniel (Aug03, 2017)
... except "View all filters" rather than "Manage Filters" at the bottom of the list.

Like Szűcs Bianka likes this
Bryan_Schmiedeler July 19, 2018

I am struggling with this too. I have created filters that I cannot delete, actually no one can delete as far as I can see. I do not see "Manage Filters" anywhere. 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Bryan

Like Deeksha.Chaudhry likes this
Bryan_Schmiedeler July 19, 2018

Happens every time. When I enter a question, I find the answer right after. If I go to all filters I can see them and delete them there. 

Like Clay Lovett likes this
Dennis Graham August 8, 2018

It's cumbersome.  I have to google this on a regular basis.

Like # people like this
Senthilkumar Ananthakrishnan November 1, 2018

Go to "Issues and Filters" where you can see your filter (private and/or public). Select "View All Filters" at the left bottom of the menu. Then search for your filter and delete from ... icon.

Like # people like this
Darius V December 11, 2018

Where is this "View All filters" ?

https://pasteboard.co/HRcLtOf.png

this is annoying.

And inserting image does not work. Please copy the link and paste it in the browser, otherwise it optens with extra characters and does not work.

Grzegorz Woźniczka December 11, 2018

Go to your project board first then go to "Issues and Filters". It is not showing from every place in the same way. Then look "at the bottom of the list" which in many cases means under visible area. If this is your case - swipe to see it.

Like # people like this
Darius V December 11, 2018

I tried going to bard - clicked on "Swtich boards" icon, chose my board, and backlog opened. And on the left there is icon issues and filters:

https://pasteboard.co/HRfkkh5.png

https://pasteboard.co/HRfocRz.png

And I still cannot see delete button, plus I cannot even see my filters now.

And why can't you do the delete button just near the filter link? Why we need to know where it is hidden? Or at least three points menu near the filter link, so you could add more things like edit. 

Grzegorz Woźniczka December 11, 2018

Hmmm - maybe there is a different rule here. Currently, I can't find which one really working but I can spot your "Issues and Filters" version and version provided by @Jobin above. 
Try to open "Issues and Filters" from different locations - from search maybe...

1 vote
satyajit Kumar S May 27, 2019

Once u go to filters and then favourite filters on left of each mouseover filter will get drop down button, where can be select delete, then again the page will ask for confirmation then click again delete, filter will be deleted.

Hope it will help....!!!

0 votes
Jonathan Foster September 26, 2019

Select Issues and Filters

1.png

Select View all filters

2.png

Choose yourself from the Owner dropdown

3.png

From the filtered list of your filters click on the ... of the filter you want to delete and click delete

4.png

Muhammad Akram Sharifi May 25, 2021

I am an org Admin when I view all filters and find the one i need to delete i hit ... i can only see manage subscriptions and copy filters

any workaround?

maria_onufrow August 2, 2021

See the answer above, which works if you're Admin:  Jira->Jira settings->System->Shared filters and then delete it (or take over ownership).

Like Muhammad Akram Sharifi likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events