Why does * around a word turns into Italics and not bold?

Calvin Luc July 29, 2019

Myself and my team are used to adding * around specific words in our tickets to bold them, we've noticed that it nows turn them into italics. Is there a setting somewhere I can switch back?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2019

It's "markup" - Jira is moving to use the current markup most people like to use.

The only way to turn it off is to change the field type to plain text, but that means all of your formatting will be disabled.

Calvin Luc July 30, 2019

Ah ok... thanks for the answer, sort of figured out to revert back to old view and everything works fine.

Unfortunately the "most people" isn't what is in my organisation, so I guess they'll either have to revert to old view or accept and adapt... which isn't great given you paid for the service.

Kevin Reid October 15, 2019

Is there a way with the new markup style to make text bold or strong instead of italicized? 

Calvin Luc October 15, 2019

@Kevin Reid  No I doubt it from the answer provided by Nic.

Like Kevin Reid likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2019

I'm afraid @Calvin Luc is right, the "standard" that Atlassian have moved to is not optional. 

Which is a shame as I don't like "markdown", and refuse to use it, on the grounds that its choice of markup for emphasis is completely counter-intuitive drivel.

Like Kevin Reid likes this
Kevin Reid October 15, 2019

I actually found that you can shortly after posting this! You can bold text by surrounding it by **two stars**

Like # people like this
Calvin Luc October 15, 2019

@Kevin Reid  haha thanks for sharing. :-)

Suggest an answer