While editing description section I can't see bullets, numbers or any formatting until I save

Colleen February 1, 2021

Did something change recently? Now when we edit the description section of a story/epic bullets are asterisks, numbers are # signs, asterisks surround bolding. Bullets don't tab over and I don't seem to have the ability to push the paragraph over to make a structured bulleted list. This is making it very difficult to edit. Now I am finding I have to put my descriptions into a word doc to get proper formatting and then copy and paste into Jira. 

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2021

Hi @Colleen

any changes on Jira Server (if your tags are correct here in Community) would need an interaction of your Jira administrator - there are no settings, like the one you mentioned, that change by themselves or any magic happening.

Like Moga said, on the other hand, an upgrade could have caused this - but your Jira administrator should be able to tell if there were any.

A first things, easily to be checked, is to see if in a different browser the same effects occur.
If you do not want to cross check with Chrome/Firefox or Microsoft Edge for example a first try could also be to browse the page in an "incognito window" of your browser.

A completely different thing your Jira administrator could check is the "Announcement banner". We saw malformed text when there was some CSS in it with the intention to adapt parts of the formatting.

Please check and let us know if it helped. In case not, a screenshot for a better understanding would also be helpful.

Regards,
Daniel

Colleen February 4, 2021

There was a recent upgrade 'Jira 8.13.2 Upgrade on 1.29.21' that was pushed from Jira. Doesn't seem to be the cause but I saw this happening before this date. I did however test in Chrome and Edge and I still see the issue. It isn't a company wide instance issue because someone from another team/board isn't seeing the issue that my project team is. I am thinking this setting changed somehow but as an admin I don't have access to edit.WikiStyleRenderer.PNG

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2021

From those settings you should see the Description field as follows:

grafik.png

Switching to Text - Mode you'd be seeing this:

grafik.png

Is this the same you are seeing in your instance? If not, could you please attach a screenshot for better understanding?

Colleen February 4, 2021

I am completely embarrassed to say that was the problem :o

Thank you very much Daniel -troubleshooting at its best

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2021

Hi @Colleen,

Are there any changes on your Jira instance? Jira upgrade or any third-party apps installation?

Thanks,
Moga

Suggest an answer