Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Access Program for Jira Data Center App Usage Insight

Dear Community,

We are excited to announce our Early Access Program (EAP) for the App usage insight feature for Jira Data Center! We're opening 5 seats in the program and looking for a Jira admin user who manages an instance with 1000+ users and more than 5 marketplace apps installed (Atlassian bundled apps excluded). EAP users will be invited to give feedback to the dev team, get support from them during the trial and influence feature functions' priority.  

From your previous feedback, we’ve learned that apps are significant investments and critical to making Atlassian Data Center products customized for your organization. However, not having access to app usage data blocks you from taking effective actions and making decisions about your Marketplace apps. Our admin users need to know where, how, and by whom apps are being used in the Data Center instances.

With this Jira app, we’ll uncover app usage data, including but not limited to:

• The list of projects with specific custom fields that an app created and uses

• The dashboards an app introduced, their owners, and the last time they were viewed

• The workflows created by an app, and details like conditions and validations

• The number of scheduled tasks, JQL, API calls, and database tables introduced by an app.

Note that these functions will be built into multiple releases within the timeframe of EAP.

If this sounds exciting to you, reply to this post and fill in this simple form, and we will contact you.

For those who don't want to join EAP but are keen to try App usage for Jira Data Center, you can access the Atlassian lab version App (unsupported) from our marketplace. And give us your feedback through a built-in feedback CTA. 

We are looking forward to hearing from you. And stay tuned with us in this community as well!

20 comments

Comment

Daniel Bugeja March 7, 2023

Hi Mike, I'd be keen to get involved in this - we meet the above criteria

Like # people like this
Jesse Ontiveros March 7, 2023

My team is interested is participating in EAP, and we support 37000+ users with 20 major marketplace apps.

Like # people like this
Bryan Guffey March 7, 2023

Hi Mike - we also meet this criteria and are very interested in this. 3000+ users and 20+ Marketplace apps.

Thanks!! 

Like Mike Ni likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

Hi @Mike Ni  - We are DataCenter Users and I am an Admin

Like # people like this
Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2023

@Daniel Bugeja @Jesse Ontiveros @Bryan Guffey @Fadoua and all others who are interested in EAP, Please leave your contact and Jira instance info here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc_HiIpsnKEht0kvONqKzz8fgo4ZDSNEssLaeiPgIp1jvTIPg/viewform?usp=sf_link 

Cheers

Mike Ni

Like Jesse Ontiveros likes this
Shawn Sanders March 7, 2023

Hi Mike, I am interested in possibly participating in the Early Access Program for App usage insight.  The Data Center instance that I administer has over 2700 users, and about 25 marketplace apps.  This is a feature that we’ve been hoping for in Jira for a long time.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks! --Shawn

Bipin Brahmanandan March 7, 2023

Hi @Mike Ni - We will be interested to take part in this. I have filled out the form.

Reece Lander _ScriptRunner - The Adaptavist Group_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2023

Is there a reason why this EAP has not been posted in the developer community? For something app focused I would expect public feedback from the broad vendor community.

I know some vendors were shown a very early iteration of the idea, Adaptavist was one of them.

We expressed concerns about how reliable these insights may be for complex apps such as ScriptRunner, I think this is a great idea but to give the admin a full picture of if an app is being used, extension points would be ideal.

I haven't heard anything from Atlassian since, this may well be a case of internal communications at Adaptavist failing.

Will you be opening this EAP up to your vendor community?

Like # people like this
Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2023

Hi @Reece Lander _ScriptRunner - The Adaptavist Group_ , 

Nice to hear from you. And thanks for calling out questions from App vendors.
The purpose of this EAP is to get feedback from Jira Data Center admin users.
And yes, we do have plans to circle things back to app vendors including Adaptavist in our next steps. We will talk to you in a separate channel.   
That said, please feel free to try the EAP versions from our marketplace so that you can know more about how we currently visualize data related to common generic app usage. 

Cheers 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Nitin Sharma March 8, 2023

Hi @Mike Ni

Thanks for sharing, this will definitely be of interest to us and will help us get some insights as part of our journey from DC (25k users) to SaaS.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

cc - @Sandesi nagaraju @Suresh Sundararajan

venkat patchigolla March 13, 2023

Much awaited admin feature 

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2023

This looks very similar to Power Admin, or am I missing something?

Do you also plan to combine this with the Jira configuration integration that I am hoping will be recreated from Data Center?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2023

Definitely interested in this! Curious on the app's impact on server performance...

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2023

@Mike Ni - will this app work on Jira DC versions prior to 9.4? Just noticed the Marketplace listing says 9.4 - 9.6.

Petar Petrov _Appfire_ March 16, 2023

@Mike Ni Appfire has already built an app that covers 80% of the features on your list and much more years ago - it’s called Power Admin. Can you please elaborate more on what will be the added value for this new Atlassian app? Thanks!

Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2023

@Petar Petrov _Appfire_ Nice to hear from you.

From the Power Admin app introduction page, we believe it has a very different value offering which is more broadly around Jira configuration management and tracking, while our focus is only to help Jira admin users understand where Apps are interacting with and consumed by Jira instance. We will have more functions released to the Beta version in the coming week. That may give you a better idea of how our App works. That said, we are happy to connect with your team and chat about more details. 

Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2023

Hey @Dave Liao ,

We plan to support the latest 2 LTS versions of Jira Data Center and are working on supporting Jira DC 8.20 as we speak. Stay tuned and follow us on the marketplace update. 

Like # people like this
Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2023

Hi @Jimi Wikman , 

I have replied @Petar Petrov _Appfire_ in regards to Power Admin functions. Please refer to that answer. 

And at the moment, we don't have a plan for combining Jira configuration integration with this App. 

Petar Petrov _Appfire_ March 17, 2023

@Mike Ni App usage is a major use case for Power Admin as explained in the product documentation. We already cover these elements:

• Custom fields of custom field types added by the app to your Jira system.
  • Workflows which use conditions, validators or post-functions added by the app.
  • Projects using the custom fields and workflows with app contributions, described in the previous two points.
  • Filters which use custom JQL functions, contributed by the app.
  • Agile Boards which use custom JQL functions, contributed by the app.
  • Dashboards which use gadgets contributed by the app.

Around 10% of all Power Admin usage is around this functionality.

We'll be more than happy to meet and discuss with your team.

Thanks!
Petar P.

Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2023

Hey @Petar Petrov _Appfire_, I will ask our technical partner manager to reach out to your team and book us a chat.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events