I need to restrict my restrictions on a page

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Here's a use case I just encountered. How does one allow editing of a page, but not allow users to modify the page's restrictions? Another requirement is I don't want to completely disable page restrictions for other pages within the space.

It seems a bit weird that if creator A authors page, and grants read to user B, user B can remove the view permission to creator A.

I've searched jira.atlassian.com and the classic forums but didn't come up with anything.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Hallo David

You can set the space permissions to allow/disallow the editing of page restrictions. Here's the documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Assigning+Space+Permissions

I hope this helps!

Cheers, Sarah

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 26, 2012
Sarah, you're a proper wiki ninja. Treat yourself to a chocolate.
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2012

Thanks Sarah, but it doesn't quite work because I need to allow users to restrict pages. I just don't want them to remove restrictions on another page that they didn't author.

For example, I have a very private document and a user can accidentally just add confluence-users to the View permissions without my knowledge. But I want to allow this user to edit the content of my page.

SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2012

Hallo David

Ah, I see. I can't think of any way to restrict the permissions to the person who authored the page. You can restrict the "restrictions" permission to a given group. For example, you can say one group of people can add/edit pages but not restriction permissions, and another group can add/edit and also restrict permissions. But none of the Confluence permissions allow you to distinguish between person who originally wrote the page and any other author.

David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2012

There's nothing built in that allows it. Basically 'edit' permission gives 'edit permission' permissions also. The only workaround I can think of would be to create a custom theme that checked it the current user was the creator and hid the 'permissions' section of the edit page manually. Definitely a hack, and has some limitations. You would probably want to allow confluence admins to still modify permissions, in case the original page creator's account was closed/deleted for whatever reason.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events