Can I hide a space/page from a Confluence admin?

Aaron_Stanush March 15, 2013

My business partner and I have sensitive documents that only we should have access to in Confluence.

We have directors who need the ability to perform admin tasks in Confluence, like managing global templates.

As I understand it, only "Confluence Admins" can manage global templates -- but this would also allow them to see any page in any space.

Is there a workaround?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aaron_Stanush March 25, 2013

Ok, great. I guess I wasn't clear about which default "admin" group I was talking about.

• administrators: Have basic access to administer Confluence settings
  • confluence-administrators: Have full access to administer Confluence and see all content everywhere

I created a test user and assigned them to the "administrators" group and they seem to have basic admin access (editing global templates, etc.) and verified that they do not have access to a particular space which has been restricted to another custom group.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2016

Perhaps it has changed since this question was asked, but i'm on confluence 5.8.14 and I believe I have confirmed that personal spaces can in fact be hidden from everyone. 

1. I created my own personal space
  2. I have only myself set in its Space Permissions
  3. I created a page in that personal space
  4. I didn't even bother setting restrictions on that page
  5. When I go to the Space Directory > Personal Spaces, I can see my personal space listed
  6. I logged in with my test account who has the Confluence Global Permissions as both a Confluence Administrator and a System Administrator
  7. Using this account, when I go to the Space Directory > Personal Spaces, I cannot see my personal space listed
  8. When i try to go to the URL of the space, it doesn't allow me to see it
  9. When i try to go to the URL of the page in that personal space it doesn't allow me to see it. 
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2019

Hi, @Geoff Wilson !

I did as you described, but checking under the Administrator test account - I still see the space and its pages.

Magic?)

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2019

Confluence Server 6.10.0

0 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Hi Aaron,

If you restrict some pages, by right normal Admin wouldn't be able to view the page that you restricted. Since the Admin in OnDemand version is not really a System Admin of the system, therefore I think this could be done. Please bear in mind that you can't hide any content from users that is inside 'confluence-administrators' group as per this documentation. However this group does not apply in OnDemand.

Hope it helps.

Aaron_Stanush March 20, 2013

Ok, great. I guess I wasn't clear about which default "admin" group I was talking about.

• administrators: Have basic access to administer Confluence settings
  • confluence-administrators: Have full access to administer Confluence and see all content everywhere

I created a test user and assigned them to the "administrators" group and they seem to have basic admin access (editing global templates, etc.) and verified that they do not have access to a particular space which has been restricted to another custom group.

Like Vincent Tjon-Sien-Kie likes this
0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2013

If someone has Confluence-Admin permissions, they have full control of your site, so there is no way to hide something from them in a way that they could not circumvent if they wanted to.

Thanks,

-dave

Aaron_Stanush March 20, 2013

Just to be clear, the only way to give someone the ability to manage global templates is to give them full control/access to the wiki?

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2020

I know this question is very dated but is there a way to block spaces in Confluence Cloud from site admins without the site admin being able to add themselves to the space?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events