Modernized Content Topper - Beautiful & Dynamic Titles

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 3.49.31 PM.pngIntroducing The All-New Content Topper!

Hello Confluence Community 👋

I’m Arshia Elahi, a Software Engineer on the Confluence Create team. I’m excited to announce a new enhancement to Confluence title areas! We’ve redesigned the top third of pages to have a more modern feel with a more expansive and dynamic cover image, larger title emoji, and the ability to center align the page title. Say hello to a more engaging feel to your pages!

Before

After

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.14.06 PM.png Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.10.05 PM.png

Now you can center your page title:

Before

After

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.48.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.48.17 PM.png

Now your selected cover image spans the full page:

Before

After

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.05.11 AM.png Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.01.49 AM.png

The cover image height adjusts to its width for consistency:

Pretty-Parrot.gif

Try our updated cover image selection:

Before

After

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.08.49 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.11.54 AM.png

Your selected emoji 😎 is now more prominent and responsive on the page:

• Before (Smaller, Static Emoji):

No Cover Image

With Cover Image

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.28.38 AM.png Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.33.20 AM.png
  • After (Larger, Dynamic Emoji):

No Cover Image

With Cover Image

Left-Aligned

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.27.52 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.28.17 AM.png

Center-Aligned

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.27.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.27.27 AM.png

Check out Content Topper on Presenter Mode:

Before

After

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.48.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 12.47.46 AM.png

Who is this for and why are we doing it?

We want to give our creators a more customizable experience so that they can make pages more engaging!

How do I use it?

To customize the content topper, you can add a cover photo/emoji/change title alignment by hovering over the page title area and using the floating toolbar that pops up. See below for an example:

1. Hover over the title section to trigger the toolbar, then click the alignment buttons to change title alignment or choose an emoji 😁Screen Recording 2024-02-12 at 2.59.24 PM.gif
  2. To add a cover image, click the "Header Image" button and query relevant images from Unsplash, or upload your own image:crop waffle search.gif
  3. Select a cover image of your choice to observe the new, full-width header image: cropped waffles yay 2.gif
  4. Click the header image again to change cover image 📷 new waffle.gif
  5. Publish or update your page! waffles 4 low.gif
  6. Try presenter mode to view your changes full-screen:waffles final final.gif

I want to try it! When will I be able to use it?

We are rolling this feature out over the next couple of weeks, starting Monday (02/12/2024). If you don’t see it on your Confluence cloud instance on Monday, it should come to your site soon. We hope you enjoy it!

Please leave any feedback below in the comments. We are continuing to improve the experience and iron out any remaining bugs. Thank you! 

49 comments

Jacob Zhang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2024

This is so cool! 🤩

Like # people like this
Bryan Guffey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2024

All images show as broken to me

Like # people like this
Heather Blue February 12, 2024

The images in the before/after tables also do not work for me in either Chrome or Safari, but the gifs do. Looks like some great updates though!

Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2024

@Heather Blue @Bryan Guffey Are you able to see the images now?

Like # people like this
Filip Callewaert February 12, 2024

Great Workplace Experience!! 

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2024

Really cool look&feel touches! 🤩

On a first glance, I'm a bit 'worried' of this page emoji overlapping with page header image but this would need some actual testing. Are there any considerations for adding more image tools/functionalities (for example, defining image transparency; including header image)?

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2024

Does this work with custom emojis? I don't see this in my instance yet, but I'm already making plans to use it!

Like # people like this
Heather Blue February 13, 2024

@Arshia Elahi yes I can see the pics now. Thanks! :)

Like # people like this
Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
February 13, 2024

@Tomislav Tobijas Thanks for the feedback! So the emoji currently sits at the bottom of the cover image, as per our design. This is something you can tryout and give us more feedback on when you receive the feature. As for the suggested functionalities you mentioned, that is not something we have planned yet, but I've noted it down as something to discuss internally. Thank you again!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2024

I'm excited about the page title being moved to the center. The current offset default has always bothered me. A page title should be centered, headings should be offset. My universe is now properly aligned.

Like # people like this
Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2024

@Andy Gladstone Yep! I also prefer the centered title, however the option is still there to keep your page left-aligned. You can toggle the alignment with the toolbar buttons.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2024

Well this is amazing news!

hannah.ryan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 18, 2024

I really like this update; however it is playing a little havoc with some of our old page headers! Can you confirm what the optimal image size is for the new content toppers?  Thank you!

Like # people like this
Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
February 19, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak Yes, it should work with custom emojis as well!

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
SiDawg February 22, 2024

Looks like there was also a change so that when editing a page, the sidebar still appears on the left: that's so useful!! It was quite frustrating when that used to disappear :D

Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2024

@hannah_ryan Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that is something we are aware of. When I have more details, I will let you know!

Trent Murray February 26, 2024

Another poorly thought out update. All of my page headers look pixelated and stretched now. Didn't think to make this optional functionality instead of forcing page headers to stretch the width of the browser (which on some resolutions can be 4K!) ?

Edit: The update itself is not bad - sure, some people will love it. But the unilateral decision to force updates across all sites without doing the analysis of existing header image sizes being used is appalling. So glad Atlassian isn't making medical software. 

Like # people like this
Alexis Marticorena February 29, 2024

@Arshia Elahi Just hopping on here to ask (as another user previously did) what the ideal image size should be for custom page banners so I can get our organization's Confluence spaces looking pretty again. Thanks!

Like Marcus Schroenn likes this
Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
February 29, 2024

Hi @Trent Murray , this is Arshia, the lead engineer for the Content Topper update. I totally understand your frustration, and appreciate you sharing it. We do have a fix we're working through right now, and we'll update things here once finalized!

Like # people like this
Lee Schneider March 4, 2024

This has been a disruptive change for us, and the implementation is frankly lacking.

• The feature should include the option to enable/disable scaling.
  • The documentation should indicate what the optimum image size is. 
  • Atlassian should acknowledge the requests in the comments regarding image size.

Were customers actually asking for this? If we could revert to the previous functionality for header images we would without hesitation.  I encourage anyone who feels the same way to vote for this issue: [CONFCLOUD-77693] Provide option to retain the old header image feature. - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Like Cortlandt _ likes this
Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2024

Hello everyone, we are currently working on the fix and trying to get it out ASAP. I will circle back here once the update is done. 

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Matthew East March 7, 2024

i cant centre the Title or Emoji, am i missing something or is this just waiting for rollout?

Maybe some display options for the headers, like tile or wrap or add a background would placate some of the people who have an issue with this update. Look forward to having a bit more fun with the page design, thanks @Arshia Elahi 

Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2024

@Matthew East Yes, if you currently don't see the floating toolbar, full cover image, & the ability to center your title, you haven't had the update rolled out to you yet. 

Like # people like this
Arshia Elahi
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2024

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the full-width cover images. We have implemented updates to ensure the aspect ratio of your original header images is maintained across various screen sizes, ranging approximately from 760px width to 4096px width.

To guarantee the best visual experience, we highly recommend uploading high-quality images for future cover images. 

Please continue to leave feedback in this thread. 

Thank you!

@Hannah.Ryan @Trent Murray @Alexis Marticorena @Lee Schneider 

Like # people like this
Trent Murray March 18, 2024

@Arshia Elahi - how does this solve our problems? In fact, maintaining aspect ratios has just made our pages look even worse as they are now pixelated and twice the height!

In case Atlassian team has forgotten one of its core values - here it is.

The fix that needed to be made was not to maintain aspect ratios, but to give us the ability to only show fixed width headers (the old functionality that was perfectly fine and in fact better, less cluttered and didn't look crap).

Fix this please - it's broken.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 9.20.34 AM.png

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events