Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit on metrics per component increased from 10 to 25

Hey everyone, just a quick announcement to let you know that we've increased the limit on the number of metrics allowed per component from 10 to 25! We hope this allows you more visibility into your component health and let us know if this limit increase helps you.

Have you found the metrics that Compass apps, like Bitbucket and GitHub, provide helpful? What custom metrics are you sending into Compass yourself? We'd love to hear how you're using metrics in Compass and what else you'd like to see.

Happy Compassing!

2 comments

Jan-Hendrik Spieth October 25, 2022

I haven't yet looked much at the metrics, but I plan to try that out, next.

One thing that I was wondering about after the first steps in getting to know Compass was whether there really isn't an easy (non-custom) way to have a metric for a component with a web "endpoint" to check whether it's up and running (as in, http status codes). Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong tool (Statuspage?) :-)

Josh Campbell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2022

Hey Jan-Hendrik! We don't have an "easy" way to check an endpoint as a metric for a component but that is an interesting idea :) What you could do is create a custom metric and write a script that checks your endpoint to see if it's healthy then sends a metric value update to Compass accordingly. Two gotchas to be mindful of if you go this route:

1. You can only send numerical values as metric values, no strings.
  2. If you send a metric value of 0 the metric card will appear in its default or empty state versus showing 0. A non-zero value will display normally. I've got a bug in our backlog to address the 0-value state weirdness so we'll get that fixed up soon.

A more heavyweight approach would be building a custom Compass app on our Forge platform.

Let me know if this helps :) 

Edit: And yes Statuspage is a great solution as well, and we have a Compass app for it!

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events