The multiverse of admin duties - it's coming!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Yep, I said multiverse.

Not all admin duties are created equal, and it seems Atlassian finally got that memo.

Did you know Atlassian has plans for granular admin roles - think user management, product config, and so on? In Server/Data Center, one needs to grant admins global admin to manage users. This takes careful thought.

Every organization has unique needs. Every organization has its share of tooling experts. Striking a balance between a command-and-control admin model and a free-for-all is an important balance to strike (and to revisit periodically).

Thankfully delegated admin add-ons help with that balancing act. (Are you using any?)

loki-admin.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting finer-grained admin roles in Cloud, and being able to dole out duties all those well-meaning volunteers. 🙂 Why kind of admin tasks would you love to delegate out in a sane way?

6 comments

Comment

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2021

Great discussion @Dave Liao , I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas! And I must admit, the Loki image goes along well since you tricked me into looking[1] for a footnote 🕵🏻‍♂️

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

@Daniel Eads - Loki was a reference to the multiverse, not his trickiness 😅

An earlier draft of this post had a footnote, then I realized it was just noise for the post. Removed the faux footnote reference ✅

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2021

@Dave Liao - I took a pause and read it again. Wow - Multiverse again!

I must say authorisation has been always a big pain during migrations.

Suppose, you have a native app with obsolete authentication and after a decade due to security and compliance you opted for a modern security compliant authentication and during the last decade there are different customisation done with various roles and administration provisions and maintaining that granularity with the updated config it is a big challenge. 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Jacob Wisner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2021

Hi @Dave Liao! The Atlassian Work Life blog published an article today featuring you and your story! Link to the article: "Here’s what you should know about Cloud migration, according to those who’ve been there."  

Thanks for being willing to share your experience for other Community to see and learn from! Wanted to make sure you were aware of the post—and if you end up sharing the blog on social, tag us and let us know!

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2021

Oh nice, no one actually gave me a heads up until now!

David Andrew September 21, 2021

+1 upvote this

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2021

Ah, you've experienced the joy of having to grant full admin to folks who insist they manage users? 😅

Like Sarah Preston likes this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Loving the association to the mulitverse @Dave Liao 😄

Like Sarah Preston likes this
Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2021

great feature! I hope they enable this for workflows :D

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events