It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I create a workflow for Release Management?

Dear community,

I am working on a multi agency project and if Jira is perfect to track work, backlogs and versions, the release part of the process is not tracked yet.

A release to live instances requires coordination between 3 or 4 agencies + client and we are using email to monitor the different steps (code, content, activation, clear cache, live reviews...)

I'd like to monitor the technical steps of the release/editorial publication using a Jira workflow or any other tool but email ;)

Thank you so much for any recommendation in that regard.

Best,

Aurélie 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @Aurélie Henry

For this kind of use case, I would use a new Jira issue type (called Release or Deployment) with:

• A custom workflow for the main steps that cannot be done in parallel
  • Sub-tasks for the operations that can be done in parallel

There are some plugins that can be used in order to automatically create a set of Sub-tasks at the creation of the issue. And move automatically to the next workflow status when all Sub-tasks are closed.

Hopefully that helps, let me know should you need more details.

Cheers,

David

Dear David,

This is a brilliant idea, simple and straight forward.

I should have thought about that ;)

Have a wonderful day,

Thank you very much,

Best,

Aurélie

@Aurélie Henry, your're welcome!

Cheers,

David

Hi @Aurélie Henry 

We have created a Jira app which should cover your needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218705/release-management-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview&source5

So you don't need to create a separate project + will get full integration with Jira native versions and their issues. 

The add-on helps to:

• Define custom versions workflow, track current status and transition history.
  • Easy to use Kanban board with all versions
  • Aggregate several versions from multiple projects into complex release. Complex releases can have own workflow (for instance, you might need to do  end-to-end testing when all components  will be released)
  • Manage and aggregate issues on version and complex release levels
  • Bulk operations: version create, update status, archive and unarchive
  • Visualize release plan on a timeline
  • + gadgets, reports and other "cookies" :)   

Yuri

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Agile

Why can't I manage my Sprint while I am the SCRUM Master?

As a SCRUM Master, one of your key tasks involves planning Sprints in your team and in order to do this, you must be able to create new Sprints and complete active ones. In order to fulfil these ta...

295 views 0 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you