Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a workflow for Release Management?

Aurélie Henry May 6, 2019

Dear community,

I am working on a multi agency project and if Jira is perfect to track work, backlogs and versions, the release part of the process is not tracked yet.

A release to live instances requires coordination between 3 or 4 agencies + client and we are using email to monitor the different steps (code, content, activation, clear cache, live reviews...)

I'd like to monitor the technical steps of the release/editorial publication using a Jira workflow or any other tool but email ;)

Thank you so much for any recommendation in that regard.

Best,

Aurélie 

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

Hello @Aurélie Henry

For this kind of use case, I would use a new Jira issue type (called Release or Deployment) with:

• A custom workflow for the main steps that cannot be done in parallel
  • Sub-tasks for the operations that can be done in parallel

There are some plugins that can be used in order to automatically create a set of Sub-tasks at the creation of the issue. And move automatically to the next workflow status when all Sub-tasks are closed.

Hopefully that helps, let me know should you need more details.

Cheers,

David

Aurélie Henry May 7, 2019

Dear David,

This is a brilliant idea, simple and straight forward.

I should have thought about that ;)

Have a wonderful day,

Thank you very much,

Best,

Aurélie

David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2019

@Aurélie Henry, your're welcome!

Cheers,

David

2 votes
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

Hi @Aurélie Henry

I recently wrote an article about creating release templates that might answer your question. It explains how to set up a release management workflow using one of our apps Swanly. But even if you won't use the app you might find it useful. 

Link for the article 👉https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Jira-Release-Management-How-to-improve-your-release-process/ba-p/1361739

I hope that helps :)

0 votes
Yuri Kudin May 21, 2019

Hi @Aurélie Henry 

We have created a Release management Jira app which should cover your needs.

So you don't need to create a separate project + will get full integration with Jira native versions and their issues. 

The add-on helps to:

• Define custom versions workflow, track current status and transition history.
  • Easy to use Kanban board with all versions
  • Aggregate several versions from multiple projects into complex release. Complex releases can have own workflow (for instance, you might need to do  end-to-end testing when all components  will be released)
  • Manage and aggregate issues on version and complex release levels
  • Bulk operations: version create, update status, archive and unarchive
  • Visualize release plan on a timeline
  • + gadgets, reports and other "cookies" :)   

Yuri

yurikudin July 1, 2020

Hi Community,

I am proud to announce that the Release Management is available for cloud 

In the cloud version, we have:

• Custom workflow for version and package (cross-project, multi-version entity)
  • Representation of the version and packages on a timeline and as a Kanban board
  • Ability to see and manage the content of each version or package 
  • Automated release notes aggregator
  • Set of gadgets that can help you to create informative dashboards for management

Hope you will enjoy it. As usual, your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yuri

Like Ivan Nikolic likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events