Team vs assignee

Sofya May 12, 2022

Hello

We would like to use the Advanced Roadmaps in our organization.  The problem is using Team – we are assigning issues to person.

We are considering the following solution – create team per person and create automation that copying value from assignee filed to the Team  field.

I tried to create this automation and it doesn't work. May be the problem is the different field type?

Anyway – may be someone can help me with automation or have another idea how to use it?

We in data center configuration 

Thanks in advanced!

Sofya

1D987D13-0C47-45C5-90B5-94A93ADEF301.png

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2022

@Sofya -

Team field in AR for Jira is unique field type and should not be used as issue assignee.  Furthermore, Team should contains members of the team (i.e. issue assignee from your project) and not meant for having one assignee per team setup.

However, you can expose the field to your project's issue view screen.  If you want the ability to edit this field within the Jira issue screen (EDIT screen etc.) outside of your plan, then you will have to ensure the Team setup in your AR for Jira plan is set as "Shared Team" and cannot be private only to your plan.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Sofya May 14, 2022

Thank you very much Joseph!

I understand the methodology of working with team, but in our organisation we set estimation per assignee… so as solution we decided to create team per assignee. 

I’ve tried to create automation that can set Team from the assignee field then it edited… but the assignee field is not in the list of options… probably it’s not possible… maybe the type of assignee field does not much…

Is a type of field can be a problem?

thank in advance!

Sofya

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2022

@Sofya -

Team field (one used by AR for Jira) and Assignee field used by Jira Software/JSM are different data type and unique to itself.  Assignee field is user picker and Team is not.

This is why you will have issue with automation rule setup.  Even you setup the rule such as if assignee = a specific user, then set the Team to a specific value.  It will not be scalable because you have to hardcode the different assignee to different team combinations + very difficult to manage it.

Best, Joseph

Sofya May 15, 2022

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events