Resource Planning / Forecasting

Jeremy Janas August 19, 2021

In jira advance roadmap are we able to use placeholder resources for planning out future project / initiatives?  EG:

We have a shared team and we're not sure what resource will be assigned in the future but are just trying to capacity plan for projects not yet started.  Are we able to put a placeholder in there to forecast?  I thought I remember seeing someone do that under jira portfolio back in the day.

Found my Answer: Virtual User

2 answers

0 votes
Ostap Zaishlyi [Reliex]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 20, 2021

Hello @Jeremy Janas 

In our solution, ActivityTimeline, we actually allow to create Virtual Resources that could represent new potential employees, show lack of resources, or allow to plan for non-human resources like equipment or rooms.

Here is an article on our website about it:

https://reliex.com/blog/how-to-discover-that-you-lack-project-resources/

0 votes
Angus Russell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2021

@Jeremy Janas 

The old interface had virtual users for this, but they don't exist any more in the new interface.

Advanced Roadmaps currently doesn't use team members for anything other than calculating capacity based on the number of members. That means it's fine to put N random members into a private or shared team for planning purposes.

In the future, Advanced Roadmaps will use team membership for more fine-grained capacity planning (E.g. on the member level).

I'd suggest using a private/plan-scoped team for this.

Thanks,

Angus

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events