Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to base capacity view on start/end dates

Dana Hicks February 5, 2020

I am working to do my teams resource management through Portfolio. I understand that the scheduled start/end dates are auto-scheduled. My issue is that the capacity view is based on the auto-scheduled dates and not the dates in my issue card. Is there a way to change this?

1 answer

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Hello @Dana Hicks

When you say 'dates on my issue card' do you mean the end date you are setting? If so, there is no way that I know of that will fix that. Portfolio will be your source of truth for the start and end dates, becoming your main tool to determine project durations and time spans. If you then want to reflect this on your issue cards, I belive we would be looking at a manual process

Dana Hicks February 7, 2020

Hi @Fernando Bordallo thanks for your reply. Yes, I mean the start date/end dates I am setting. What I've found is that when I enter an hours estimate in the user story, in Portfolio, that story is scheduled for the first available time and using the weekly capacity. So for example, a task with 99 hours is auto-scheduled for a resource with 40 hr/week capacity over 2+ weeks instead of using my start and end dates and dividing the hours evenly. I have used the start after constraint but since there is no must complete by constraint, it does not give me fully what I need.  I'm wondering if there is  way to have the portfolio capacity view be based on the hours estimate + my entered start/end dates and not the auto-calculated dates.

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2020

I see what you mean. As far I know, Portfolio will schedule work based on resource capacity to maximize its use. Start and end dates are rough estimates and used to guide the calculation but not the delimiters of the capacity. 

However, have you tried to base calculations on 'Target Schedule'? https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/add-target-start-and-target-due-dates-868977060.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events