It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can i define milestones with JIRA Portfolio

Hello Experts, 

we are currently evaluating Portfolio, 

We would like to manage product implementation projects, and for that we need to define milestones

Can you please advise how can I define them in Portfolio?

Thanks

Naama

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Your milestones are effectively your release dates, you could create epics for certain stages of your project and assign these to releases which match your milestone dates.

That isn't a very good approach. There can be a lot of issues tied to a milestone in different ways including:

• Cannot start until the date
  • Milestone cannot be met unless issues are accepted

Those "stakes in the ground" can be moved independently of other works and may or may not impact a release. They may be a date that a tool arrives from a 3rd party or almost any other thing, and there can be many of these special dates in a release cycle. 

I can see that using releases can do some of the same thing, but conceptually it is better to keep a "release" with a specific meaning and a milestone with its own specific meaning and not muddy them together. 

Like # people like this

Just some examples of dates("milestones") that are not releases.... feature/code freeze, trade show dates, scheduled maintenance on environments... to work around things, you have to be able to see them alongside your release schedule. 

Like # people like this

Hi, has this matter been solved? Any other suggestion, how to add milestones in Portfolio without using releases? Thanks in advance :)

I do not see that it has been resolved. Key dates and milestones within a release are a useful mechanism. 

0 votes

The issues is still not resolved unfortunately!

There is always a need to see dates different than release dates in a project plan.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

3,639 views 22 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you