cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i define milestones with JIRA Portfolio

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2015

Hello Experts, 

we are currently evaluating Portfolio, 

We would like to manage product implementation projects, and for that we need to define milestones

Can you please advise how can I define them in Portfolio?

Thanks

Naama

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jamie Cole October 21, 2015

Your milestones are effectively your release dates, you could create epics for certain stages of your project and assign these to releases which match your milestone dates.

Glenn Clapp December 4, 2018

That isn't a very good approach. There can be a lot of issues tied to a milestone in different ways including:

• Cannot start until the date
  • Milestone cannot be met unless issues are accepted

Those "stakes in the ground" can be moved independently of other works and may or may not impact a release. They may be a date that a tool arrives from a 3rd party or almost any other thing, and there can be many of these special dates in a release cycle. 

I can see that using releases can do some of the same thing, but conceptually it is better to keep a "release" with a specific meaning and a milestone with its own specific meaning and not muddy them together. 

Like # people like this
Jeff Smith August 12, 2019

Just some examples of dates("milestones") that are not releases.... feature/code freeze, trade show dates, scheduled maintenance on environments... to work around things, you have to be able to see them alongside your release schedule. 

Like # people like this
David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2022

It is just to add in the Gantt view similar to today´s day a vertical line for specific milestones indicating the iD or the name as a visual representation of the milestones. In 2014 it was posted the following suggestion with 125 votes: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-71

6 votes
PM January 19, 2021

Please solve this issue and enable milestone visualization and add suitable features as requested with ticket  JPOSERVER-2825. I really don´t understand how a tool can be called advanced roadmap without adding the possibility to visualize milestones. At least it should be possible to show naming of the fix versions/releases, create abbreviation of the name and blend in/out milestones as needed.

1 vote
Phil December 21, 2018

Hi, has this matter been solved? Any other suggestion, how to add milestones in Portfolio without using releases? Thanks in advance :)

Glenn Clapp August 12, 2019

I do not see that it has been resolved. Key dates and milestones within a release are a useful mechanism. 

0 votes
Allister Scicluna November 10, 2020
0 votes
Sofiane Hassioune June 15, 2020

The issues is still not resolved unfortunately!

There is always a need to see dates different than release dates in a project plan.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events