Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice issue hierarchy for large organisation?

Steve Long -Evelon-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2023

What is everyone's experience with issue hierarchies being used by large organisations in order to aid organisational level reporting? Does it deviate much? Any articles anyone can recommend?

Aka Task > Epic > Feature > Initiative > Theme

3 comments

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2023

Hey Steve, 

I've seen each company comes up with different setups. There is no one size fits all.

Here are a few good resources to read about this topic:

1. Simple structures to help teams gracefully manage scope and structure work.

2. How ABN AMRO structured their Jira for scale

3. How to setup issues above the epic

I hope this helps,

Roi

Erwin Juenemann November 23, 2023

For my organisation, I am looking for ways to group projects into initiatives and initiatives into business lines. The hierarchy would be:

Business line 1...n
Initiative 1...n
Projects 1...n
Epic
Task
Subtask

I wonder if anyone can recommend a feature or tool to group *above* the project level? 

(PS I'm not sure if this requires a new post - I added it here since I think it's related to the original post)

Gary Fan November 27, 2023

Hi @Erwin Juenemann ,

I'm not certain if you're open to acquiring a premium tool, however, there are numerous plugins available in the marketplace that might fit your needs perfectly.

One you might want to explore is 'Hierarchy For Jira Cloud'. This tool helps to expand the standard issue hierarchy provided by Jira, enabling you to easily visualize projects through a highly customizable tree view. It offers 30 days free trial at the moment, feel free to install and give it a go. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events