Adding pictures and tables to jira issue description part?

azfa October 15, 2012

I want to add pictures and tables to my issue description part . How can i add that one?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

Hi Azfa,

Refer to the wiki markup available in JIRA itself when you try to edit the description field. Information is also available at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Editing+Rich-Text+Fields

Make sure your "Description" field is using the "Wiki style renderer" in the field configuration scheme.

To add a table

Tables allow you to organize content in a rows and columns, with a header row if required.

<th width="250">Notation</th><th>Comment</th>
||heading 1||heading 2||heading 3||
|col A1|col A2|col A3|
|col B1|col B2|col B3|
Makes a table. Use double bars for a table heading row.

The code given here produces a table that looks like:

<th>heading 1</th><th>heading 2</th><th>heading 3</th>
col A1 col A2 col A3
col B1 col B2 col B3

To include an image

First attach the image to the issue and then use the syntax

!<your-attached-filename>.png!

azfa October 15, 2012

Hi,

I couldnt attach the images and tables inside description part as u said. what is wiki renderable field ? im using jira 4.4 version. I couldnt find the small icons(edit, help) besid the description parts.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

Looks like your description is not using the "Wiki Style Renderer". Go to your field configuration scheme which the project is using. Find the "Description" field. Click on "Renderers" and select "Wiki Style Renderer".

Now try updating your issue's description with the value

{color:red}This might be the problem.{color}

Save the description and now in the "View Issue" screen you should see the above text in red color. This is how you use wiki syntax.

azfa October 15, 2012

Really helpful thanx a lottttttttt..................... Can u tel me how to take the picture to word doc. When i view my issue in the word document the picture is not coming

ap April 4, 2018

Is it possible to display an image from another different issue too.  No need to  I upload the same image every time I need to use it.

Use your browser to  "Copy Link Location" for the image and paste that into:

You can put that in a panel and make it look slick.

See: Wiki Renderer Help

Val Meredith March 26, 2019

Just wondering how you can control the size the image displays at? Thumbnail is too small, full size is too big for the window. Is there another command?

0 votes
Neil Zhang December 4, 2013

Is there any tools to allow users paste table in the description part?

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

To Enable wiki renderer see Changing a fields renderer in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

Is there any easier way yet to cut & paste excel tables? Any free plugins?

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2012

Hi Azfa,

for tables, you can use Wiki-like Syntax in the description field:

{code}

|| heading 1 || heading 2 ||

| field 11 | field 2 |

| field 21 | field 22 |

{code}

Images should be uploaded as Attachments. I think you can't add them to your description.

Cheers

Thomas

azfa October 15, 2012

Where to write this codes? how to use Wiki-like Syntax

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

Update your description with

{color:red}
look ma, red text!
{color}

and check if you can see red text
azfa October 15, 2012

No............ i copy your coding & paste it in description part. Bt icouldnt see the red text. I can see the codings inside description.

{color:red}

look ma, red text!
{color}

Oded Priva April 21, 2014

Can I draw a table as a default template in the "Description" field?

Suggest an answer