why the new upgrade sucks ?

Mihai October 15, 2012

Is it possible to switch back to the previous version of jira ? The new design/UI LOOKS better but is less intuitive . Instead to integrate jira with confluence tighter they are totally separated now. For example I'm reviewing the issues of project (example). If I want to check the wiki I need to actually go confluence and search / browse for "example" SPACE . Before we could simply click on the wiki tab.

The tutorial screen that you provided after the upgrade is just a list of ways you’ve failed.

Just want to add one more reason why it sucks : It runs slower than before.

7 answers

4 votes
lingbo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2012

Issue to vote for with regards to adding per-project custom links: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-6079

You can find a list of the rest of the hot issues on: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/New+Header+FAQ.

Mihai October 16, 2012

It must be intuitive by default . We don't need to add "features" , just do it right ! I'm sure that if you analyze your logs you can find that people go back and forth on the project wiki and the same project issues list quite often as they need to compare the documentation with issue report.

4 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2012

The best place to campaign for changes to the product(s) is https://jira.atlassian.com - here you can create JIRA issues to seek changes in individual Atlassian products or in the OnDemand platform in general. For more information, read our Implementation of New Features policy.

I'd encourage you to give it a few weeks before writing off the new header design completely - maybe you will become accustomed to it after a while?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give your feedback to the Atlassian answers community!

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2012

Joe, its the removal of usability and functional capabilities that is the problem here - that is a design bug and should be treated as such. I agree the details need to be in JIRA and support issues. I raised a support issue right away - JST-47878, but those are normally not open to public (although this one could be from my prespective). I think having the FAQ to gather issues/discussion together is best way to help people. Having this on answers makes it easy to find and link all the other resources.

Regarding the header design, the product specific header that is more consistent across products is definitely an improvement - capabilities are still there and most users can easily adapt to slightly different locations because they get the benefit of consistency across the different products.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2012

Fair comments, Bob - I don't want to try and defend or justify the design decisions that were made since that it way out of my area of knowledge.

FWIW, I've passed on this thread to the product managers who have been involved in this roll-out. I'm sure they're reading all the feedback being received to make some good decisions.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

There is a more public issue for the cross product search feature where you can vote.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-6078

I agree with Bob's initial comment about removal of usability and functional capabilities, but is more than a design bug. For me, it is a loss of product requirements for integration of Jira and Confluence which is even more basic and really makes it more serious even if the fix is simple. That is why people are getting so passionate about the latest changes.

2 votes
yon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 15, 2012

Hi Mihai, You can't roll back to the older version but the functionality you want is still there, it's just been moved to the project shortcuts dialog that pops up when you click on your avatar in any project.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

Thanks for that - it still sucks! Going from something new users understood quickly/easily to something that even experienced users need to get an answer to a question. I thought you guys were doing more usability testing these days? It also seems to be missing a link back to just the JIRA project (not an issue navigator). Furthermore, once you are in the issue navigator, how to you get back to the project specific wiki?

Mihai October 15, 2012

I can't agree more with what Bob said. You must provide a consitent navigation across all the products. You own all those products so they must be tightly integrated/interconnected and I mean including bitbucket. The key is the usuability and integration not "cool design". I hope you FIX this ISSUE asap.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

The functionality is not still there. You should review comments on the release summary for the issues: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+release+summary

To me, its an arrogant request to have to vote back in features that were being used and provided value.

In response to some of the above:

• You have no ability to quickly jump from your space back to the project summary - you can go from the project to the space, but not vice versa.
  • No cross-product searching - very helpful when looking for information relevant to a topic - what doc exists and what faqs and/or issues also exist.
  • Custom tabs have been removed and there was no migration to any other comparable feature. These were used alot to help users navigate to common boards, filter results, pages. It made navigating and working with what you cared about much easier. There is no ability to give users a custom page to start with that could at least have all of this as you are logged in always to JIRA. It's not the same, but it would help.
  • JIRA search doesn't have autocomplete
  • There is no cross-product history; wiki has no history. Recently viewed is for the session activity, only.
  • JIRA search does not support searching on numerics that are not an issue key. This is important to us because we use signficant number of identifiers that represent other medical phrases/names (e.g. similar to how you use acronyms).
  • Create Issue broken when in the Classic boards; must locate create issue under the Issue menu

The Atlassian products contain ALOT of information and the downside to many similar applications (e.g. Sharepoint to name one) is that users cannot locate what they need. The search capabilities and custom tabs were critical in helping many solve these problems and allowing users to become adopters.

Without these, the product is no better than piecing together other products that do the same thing.

2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2012

I think you will find the answer to that is no, the environment is upgraded en-masse, and you get the benefit of that through OnDemands price-point. If you want to stay at an earlier version you will need to host your own, which will cost more. Does it matter that much?

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2012

Agree. Usability should be part of every UI design otherwise we can operate in command line. It's the user experience that matters. I have to say the new change is frustrating for me as well. This shouldn't be the way to go.

Mihai October 16, 2012

yes it does matter that much! We are using Atlassian to increase productivity not for cool modal dialogs and hidden functionality !

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2012

@Joeseph I'm wondering why you have a product named Crowd if you are not using it even on your platform . It seems that I need about 3 -4 - 5 different access logins just to access your support portal, my jira on-demand repository, your jira repository (the link that you provided me to vote for that feature ) , this answers site and bitbucket.

Funny you mention that - we have a project going on right now to consolidate all the different login accounts for external customers into a single account. Under the covers, it is using Crowd, but the user bases are fragmented as a result of many of the services growing organically over time. You should see how many different bloody logins there are for internal Atlassian systems, as well! I long ago gave up trying to memorise them all! :-)

Your answer was not correct because I asked why it sucks not where to create a new user/pass to vote for a bug fix.

Actually, that's a fair call! My answer probably would have been better off as a comment, since it didn't actually provide an "answer" to your question.

It's hard to provide an answer to "why it sucks" since I think these kinds of design matters are inherently subjective. You also asked a sub-question: "Is it possible to switch back to the previous version of jira ?", which I believe people did try to answer in some of the answers you down-voted.

Obviously you don't get that you have a bug/problem on your product and the issue I raised is not a matter of design taste.

Well, I don't directly work on the products in question, but I do understand and appreciate that you (and others) are unhappy with the change and find it un-intuitive. I do understand that it is a bug/problem because I asked you to create a bug report for it. I can understand the friction/annoyance involved in doing that, so I instead I have now also provided a link to this question to some other Atlassians internally. Cheers! :-)

0 votes
Mihai October 16, 2012

@Joeseph I'm wondering why you have a product named Crowd if you are not using it even on your platform . It seems that I need about 3 -4 - 5 different access logins just to access your support portal, my jira on-demand repository, your jira repository (the link that you provided me to vote for that feature ) , this answers site and bitbucket.

Your answer was not correct because I asked why it sucks not where to create a new user/pass to vote for a bug fix. Obviously you don't get that you have a bug/problem on your product and the issue I raised is not a matter of design taste.

0 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2012

Please don't down-vote answers because you don't like that the answer isn't the one you want. :-) Both the answers here are technically 'correct'.

Down voting is for answers that are incorrect or not helpful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events