how to customize tooltips on dropdown fields

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

Is there any way to customize the tooltips that appear when you hover over the items in the various selection combo lists (e.g. Issue Type, Priority, Resolution, etc). Currently, when a user is creating or editing a ticket and is choosing a priority, for example, the tootip only displays the same name as item, which is not very helpful.

It would much move valuable and meaninful, if it could give the actual item description without the need to navigate to the "?" icon. (In fact, the inline editing functionality doesn't even have a "?" icon; see screenshot.) This would go a long way to educating new users as to the distinction between such choices as "Improvement" and "New Feature".

Based on a comment in the Description of this ticket, it sounds like this functionality was previously available -- is that true?

UPDATE: Looks like I'm not the only one wishing for this functionality.

UPDATE #2: There is a ticket for addressing a closely related issue, now In Progress.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2012

I don't believe it is possible to edit the tooltip text, and unfortnunately neither the (?) help button nor the text from the description of the field will appear on the inline editing of the issue.

The only thing I can think of that may help in this case is to create a help bubble for any fields by using JavaScript on the fields' description as per the Atlassian documentation here: Creating Help for a Custom Field (It also works for system fields if you edit the Field Configuration)

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

You call it a "help bubble", but if I understand the page you linked, the text doesn't automatically appear when you hover -- you still have to click the "?" icon -- is that correct?

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2012

Yes, sorry about the confusion. Alternatively you can change the icon to a text or possibly customize the whole javascript to make the text appear when you hover. Unfortunately, how to write this JavaScript falls out of my knowledge. :/

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

Mine too, unfortunately. BUt I'll go ahead and mark yours as the answer, as it sounds like thats my only option. Thanks!

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
October 14, 2012

Anytime! And sorry I couldn't be of further help with this. :)

2 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2012

Hey, it's the description you can use right next to the actual priority name

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+%27Priority%27+Field+Values

Suggest an answer