Insert Jira Issue in Confluence doesnt generate a Trackback

Jon Cotter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2011

I assumed that when I inserted a Jira issue in Conflunce (via the nifty new button that came out recently) that it would create a trackback in Jira to the Confluence page.

Should it? Or is there an issue on my end that I need to investigate.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2011

Hey Jon,

Unfortunately the functionality you desire is not available in the nifty new "Insert JIRA Issue" dialog.

It sounds like an awesome idea though - I know that some of our guys have been thinking about doing something more advanced than just a simple 'trackback' (for example, having some kind of auto-magical custom field that shows linked Confluence pages).

I've raised a new improvement request in Confluence to see if this can gain some traction: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23146

You can follow/vote on the issue if you are interested in further updates.

Cheers,

Joe.

1 vote
shihab
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2011

Hi Jon,

We're actually implementing a feature for JIRA 5.0 that allows you to hook in links from other systems - including Confluence :)

We'll also be updating the "Insert JIRA Issue" button so that it automatically creates the remote link in JIRA when you refer to an issue in Confluence.

Cheers,

-Shihab

0 votes
Chris Lalande May 2, 2012

Wasn't this already in place if you have "trusted communication" established between the two products?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Enabling+Trackback

We had been using this in older versions of the two products - if you manually added a URL to a JIRA task to the Confluence Wiki, a trackback would appear.

I love the "insert JIRA Task" functionality now that we are on version 4.4 of JIRA and 4.1.4 of Confluence, but it would be a great disappointment to discover that this did not at least keep the existing Trackback functionality in place.

Suggest an answer