How do you downgrade to an earlier version of Confluence?

Felicity Chapman September 20, 2012

We're evaluating Confluence and unfortunately installed version 4.3. Many of the plug-ins that we need to evaluate do not support version 4.3.

Is it possible to downgrade to Confluence 4.2? and if so, how would we do this.

Is it possible to manually install the plug-ins in our Confluence 4.3 and see if they do work?

Any thoughts about the best solution?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2012

You could try this:

1. Take Space XML exports for all your spaces.
  2. Install Confluence 4.2.x
  3. Unzip and Open the XML sports and edit the build number so it matches the one from the version you choosed. You can find Conlfuence build numbers in this link. Remember to zip them back once you are done with the changes.
  4. Import the modified XML exports into Confluence 4.2.x

Please note that this is not officially supported, but I think this should probably work between 4.3 and 4.2.

Felicity Chapman September 23, 2012

Many thanks for your detailed instructions. If an experiment with the plug-ins in 4.3 fails, then I will try this next.

Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2013

Could you answer the similar question from 5.2 to 5?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2013

It's the same process as 4.3 to 4.2

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2012

Ah, um, you can't downgrade. You can go back to the last backup you took of the 4.2 system, that's probably the best you can do.

You might be able to export everything from 4.3 and re-import it, but I don't think the process of manually downgrading the database is going to work.

Felicity Chapman September 20, 2012

Thanks for a very speedy reply. We have no backup because we installed an evaluation of 4.3 and have never used Confluence 4.2.

Is it worth trying to install the relevant plug-ins manually? I don't know how different 4.3 is compared with 4.2.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2012

Yes, you can try that. There's no guarantees, but generally, with a very recent release, the "plugin is not valid for this version" actually means "it might be, but we haven't tested it yet". Manual installation will tell you, but I'd try it in a development system first, and backup the main system before risking it (That said, I've never had a plugin trash my data - generally the ones that aren't compatible go "eek" and fall over before writing any data)

Felicity Chapman September 23, 2012

Many thanks for your help. I will experiment with installing the plug-ins manually and see what happens. Both your answer and the answer from Alex at Atlassian are very helpful, I don't know if I can mark them both as official 'answers' or not.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2012

Alex's answer is probably the best approach for downgrading, and his point about official support is important - I have no idea how much the database has changed between 4.2 and 4.3, but he does, so it could be worth a try.

I'd still try upgrading the plugins first though. Confluence 4.3 is nicer than 4.2 :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events