cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo Remote Agent - Capability Auto Detection

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

I've got a remote agent running on Linux that I use a custom bamboo-capabilities.properties file in the agent's bin directory to define numerous capabilities local to the agent. This seems to work fine. I can't locate it at the moment, but previously saw documentation somewhere that said if you want to do this, and prevent Bamboo agent from automatically detecting capabilities to use a switch in the wrapper.conf of the agent like this :

wrapper.java.additional.4=-DDISABLE_AGENT_AUTO_CAPABILITY_DETECTION=true

When I view the agent in the Bamboo Admin agent panel it detects an old Ant install at /usr

I delete this capability from the admin agent page and add this to bamboo-capabilities.properties :

system.builder.ant.Ant=/opt/tools/apache-ant-1.8.3

and restart the agent. Yet it resets the "Ant" capability to /usr and not to the custom defined option.

Is using DISABLE_AGENT_AUTO_CAPABILITY_DETECTION correct? Am i missing something else?

Environment :

Bamboo 4.1 : JDK 1.6 and Linux for both Bamboo and agents.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2013

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the d info and detailed test. I have actually faced this issue recently and it appears the -DDISABLE_AGENT_AUTO_CAPABILITY_DETECTION=true property should be added to the Bamboo server and not the agent. This is a kind of misunderstanding. place it in the wrapper.conf file of bamboo server and restart both server and agent and see if it works.

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

Yup, that did it. I set that property in the SERVER's wrapper.conf, restarted Bamboo, then deleted the capabilities for agent3 and restarted the agent. The capabilities were NOT auto detected.

That being said I think there is value to having the flag at the server level, but also HUGE value to having it at the AGENT level. If you're running 25-100 remote agents (we run 100) we have multiple teams running agents and some want auto-detected capabilities and don't care to manage them; other teams want explicit control of the capabilities defined on their agents they operate and want NO auto-detection. I'm going to log a Jira request improvement for this. Thanks for following up.

Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

You are most welcome Adam and I cant agree more than that. Please do paste the improvement request URL here for future reference by other users

Like Raju Adluru likes this
0 votes
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2012

Hi Adam,

Can you try another approach of re-installing the agent with this command:

java -Ddisable_agent_auto_capability_detection=true -jar atlassian-bamboo-agent-installer-2.2-SNAPSHOT.jar http://bamboo-host-server:8085/agentServer/
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

Sultan - the flag doesn't make a difference. I am now trying on Bamb00 4.4.

I installed a remote agent (agent1) as a control without any special flags. It started and showed up in the agent list and had fully detected the JDK, GIT, etc I had on my system, as expected.

I installed a remote agent (agent2) passing the flag you mentioned, -Ddisable_agent_auto_capability_detection=true The agent installed and started fine, showed up in the agent list, but it also had fully detected all my system's capabilities. I looked in the wrapper.conf and it did NOT have the flag anywhere specified in it.

I installed a remote agent (agent3) passing the flag on the command line as you mentioned, and then going into the agent3's wrapper.conf and manually adding :

wrapper.java.additional.3=-DDISABLE_AGENT_AUTO_CAPABILITY_DETECTION=true

to ensure it was there. I then started that agent3 fore the first time and went into admin agent section. Viewing the agent I can see it too auto detected all the capabilities. As a test, I manually used the Delete link to delete all the capabilities then restarted the agent3. After restart it still auto-detected all the capabilities.

I then used the command line install process to run a new remote agent (agent4) but did NOT pass the 'install' or 'installntservice' flag so that the agent would start and DID pass the -DDISABLE_AGENT_AUTO_CAPABILITY_DETECTION=true flag on that same command line. The agent started as expected and in the agent details I could it too fully auto detected the capabilities.

All this testing was done on Windows 7, but I have observed this with Bamboo running on Windows Server 2008 with Agents installed both on Windows 2008 and Linux. Seems the flag in general doesn't work.

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2013

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events